We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 5952kHz, 0200-0225Z - August 2, Emisora Pio XII  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
5952kHz, 0200-0225Z - August 2, Emisora Pio XII
« on: August 02, 2017, 0252 UTC »
I don't hardly believe this!  I'm still wondering if it wasn't a slightly off frequency WRMI, and whether I'll be foiled again, but I really do think that this time, I've actually caught Emisora Pio XII out of Bolivia.  Spanish-language programming with what sounded like adverts or announcements of some kind just after the hour, including a reference to 'for more information', and multiple telephone numbers.  One was definitely a La Paz number, with the city given before the number itself.  Into news, at least in format, read by a male presenter, in Spanish with an accent that could have been a Quechua influence.  Then music with a distinctly Andean flare; the rhythms reminded me strongly of the desert blues out of North Africa, which made me wonder if this was WRMI's music service, but there were flutes involved that were very Andean.  Signal good overall, but with loud static crashes.  

What do folks say?  Bolivia, or a straying Floridian?  I checked EiBi, and Miami goes off at 0200Z, so I am strongly inclined toward the former...  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 1132 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: 5952kHz, 0200-0225Z - August 2, Emisora Pio XII probable
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 0320 UTC »
South America has been reaching us tonight, so I say that's a likely yes.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns