We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ionograms for Newbies  (Read 1154 times)

bandarr3000

Ionograms for Newbies
« on: August 05, 2017, 0200 UTC »
Can I use a single ionogram to determine propagation conditions between two points?  If so, would I use the one nearest me, or the one nearest the source?  

EDIT: In other words, what does a single ionogram tell me about propagation conditions?  I live in Michigan, so I look at the ionograms out of the Alpena station.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 0201 UTC by bandarr3000 »

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ionograms for Newbies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 0247 UTC »
A single Ionogram from a site near you will only tell you about NVIS propagation, or propagation from your location, straight (or nearly so) up, and to a point a few hundred miles around you.  Propagation varies widely, and tools such as voacap can give you an idea of what to expect between two points, or the probability of reception from your point to the rest of the globe verses time and frequency.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

bandarr3000

Re: Ionograms for Newbies
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 0420 UTC »
Good to know.  Thank you.