We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Differential effects of white noise in cognitive and perceptual tasks  (Read 1675 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Abstract

Beneficial effects of noise on higher cognition have recently attracted attention. Hypothesizing an involvement of the mesolimbic dopamine system and its functional interactions with cortical areas, the current study aimed to demonstrate a facilitation of dopamine-dependent attentional and mnemonic functions by externally applying white noise in five behavioral experiments including a total sample of 167 healthy human subjects. During working memory, acoustic white noise impaired accuracy when presented during the maintenance period (Experiments 1–3). In a reward based long-term memory task, white noise accelerated perceptual judgments for scene images during encoding but left subsequent recognition memory unaffected (Experiment 4). In a modified Posner task (Experiment 5), the benefit due to white noise in attentional orienting correlated weakly with reward dependence, a personality trait that has been associated with the dopaminergic system. These results suggest that white noise has no general effect on cognitive functions. Instead, they indicate differential effects on perception and cognition depending on a variety of factors such as task demands and timing of white noise presentation.

Keywords: stochastic resonance, stochastic facilitation, dopamine, memory, attention

For more go to:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4630540/
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Differential effects of white noise in cognitive and perceptual tasks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 1510 UTC »
Next they'll undertake a study to find why rap music is the choice of criminals and illiterates worldwide.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 1842 UTC »
Next they'll undertake a study to find why rap music is the choice of criminals and illiterates worldwide.

yeah...  I wonder why that is...?  oh well...  cop killer, ho wrecker dum dee dum

blech
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 1743 UTC »
My fav wrap tune when I'm rollin dirty wit ma thugz;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.