We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Two New Videos - Preparing for Your Next DXpedition  (Read 2898 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
Two New Videos - Preparing for Your Next DXpedition
« on: September 12, 2017, 0457 UTC »
Some of you will be aware that I am passionate about going portable/mobile with my radio listening hobby. There's just nothing like communing with both nature and a bunch of electrons whizzing along the wire!

As a follow up to an article I wrote several years ago, I have now prepared two new YouTube videos entitled Preparing for your Next DXpedition - Parts 1 and 2.

Part 1 covers:
- why we should even think about bothering to go portable with the radio
- the goals to consider when undertaking a DXpedition
- planning your listening depending on the time of day and time of year
- the all important decisions regarding location

Part 2 discusses:
- choosing the right radio for portable operations
- your options for powering the radio
- the antennas you could consider including on the trip
- handy auxiliary equipment
- references and notes to take along with you
- the importance of operator comforts while away
- developing a checklist.....so that you don't forget to take something important!

There may be something of interest in these videos that could assist you in further enjoying our great hobby. I've posted the links below.

Part 1:  https://youtu.be/AUtXWxP4gtE

Part 2:  https://youtu.be/LlvJzMH6YMw

As always, thanks for taking the time to watch my video ramblings; your comments and feedback are always welcome.

73, Rob VK3BVW
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: Two New Videos - Preparing for Your Next DXpedition
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 0207 UTC »
It's GREAT to leave all that city-generated RF noise behind...!!!

Typically S-0 background, out in the sticks... and S-5 to S-9 at home  :(

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 1355 UTC »
I can tell you from hard experience in my dxpedition days that combined transmitting and listening, the worst thing that can happen to you is to drive a long way to find out you left the sack with the antenna at home. I did it not once, but twice.

If you're using equipment that has fuses, get some spares and keep them with the radio. Sooner or later they will blow at the worst time.

Tools for repairs, a multi-tool comes in very handy. A stout sharp knife always goes as does a way of making fire. The knife can be used for all kinds of things plus cutting kindling and shaving tinder in case the weather turns foul and you're stuck where you are for some time. Water and food are a must. Extra wire for antenna repairs and good old electrical tape will serve you well.

One last thing, if you're in rough terrain, stay put after dark if you're on foot. I've known several guys over the years that have walked unknowingly over cliffs to their death both with and without flashlights out hunting or camping. It's easy to get disoriented in the dark even with a light as everything that was familiar during the day looks much different after dark casting odd shadows.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 2324 UTC »
Along those same lines, make sure you have maps of the area you are in, or a GPS.  Bring extra batteries for headlamps.  I like to bring along a toolbox with basic tools and a multimeter.  I also like to carry a wrench and socket set in the vehicle.  Be sure to bring spare cables and RF adapters.  Radioshack is gone in most places so running into town for a spare connector or adapter is usually no longer an option, so plan ahead and bring your own spares.

For ops, I always like to bring a spare microphone, spare headphones, and a spare laptop with the right software to get you through the show.  An antenna analyzer is a good idea too.

If you have meds for whatever condition, make sure you have extra in case you get stuck for a while.  Nothing is worse than being up to your axles in mud, there is no help nearby, and your late in your regiment.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 0140 UTC »
After watching those videos (which were great) I watched the one on your shack. I noted you had a Behringer mixer. How is it working out in the shack? Any chance of doing a video about it? I found several videos on it but none in a hamshack.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 0721 UTC »
Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone. All great ideas there for the DXpedition out in the field. I agree that the toolkit is really important, and that spares are a good idea, too.

Terry - The Behringer mixer is great for bringing together the audio from all shack radios and on into the powered speakers. That particular model is not very expensive and offers some good facilities such as equalization and volume control from the one point. Also, since that shack video was made, I have now two speakers, so panning allows me to have audio from one radio in one speaker and different audio from another radio in the other speaker. Great for monitoring, say, parallel frequencies from the one SWBC station. I'll do a specific video on the mixer shortly.

Cheers all, Rob VK3BVW
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 1246 UTC »
Rob, thanks for the response. Looking forward to the video.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry