We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: X-FM is headed for dry dock  (Read 4365 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
X-FM is headed for dry dock
« on: September 12, 2017, 1210 UTC »
I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to get transmission gear to behave and at the same time trying to pay the bills.  As of late, things have been piling up faster around here than I care to admit, and progress on the transmitters and associated gear has been going far slower than I anticipated.  The looming date of Halloween, this list of things that must be finished beforehand brought me to a conclusion late last night that I didn't really want to admit, but now have to.  For the last six years or so, this has been my hobby, and one of my few remaining ways to blow off steam and have a good time.  Lately its become too much of a burden on my time and finances.  I'll never say I'm not coming back, but without a functioning transmitter and the spare funds to go out and play, it looks like its going to be a while.  Rather than half-ass something together, when we relaunch, it will be bigger and better than ever, even if only noticeable from this side of the mic.

I thank you all for your support over the years, your reports, and sticking through the rough conditions.  Needless to say unless something happens over the next month or so, Halloween is probably off the table, as are any show for the following year.

I'll still be hanging around the boards and helping folks where I can.

Thanks all,

+Redhat, X-FM Shortwave
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: X-FM is headed for dry dock
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 1320 UTC »
Dear Redhat,
I think it is honorable of you to make such a straight forward statement to your audience & friends out here.
You have my biggest respect & understanding.I hope that you can return one day with a great show under the stars.

Until then I wish you all the best of luck.
You'll be defently missed on SW.

Oliver
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 1425 UTC »
Been there, had to do that. Put broadcasting, and other hobbies, into dry-dock for a couple of years until I´d gotten my financial schytt together. It usually happens when I´m on the verge of moving. However, when you do come back, not only will it feel like a great rush, but you´ll be kicking-ass!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 1509 UTC »
Sorry to hear that you're going on indefinite hiatus, but completely understand. Will look forward to your posts and comments and hope for the best. Cheers
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 2138 UTC »
Very sorry to hear, but understandable. I wish you the best, and look forward to your eventual return, whenever it may be!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 2146 UTC »
You will be missed, and we all look forward to the day when you once again broadcast from under the stars.

Till then, beware the itch?
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 0213 UTC »
Yep, real life does get in the way. You had damned good run.

Come on up to the Old Pirates Home, we've got isolation transformer firing CO2 cannons mounted on the wrap-around porch to pick off the QSL ho's that try to make a sprint across the lawn and leap the moat full of snapping penguins.

Online skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 0227 UTC »
This is a bummer, but that's what happens. Will miss ya and hope you can return in glorious C-QUAM.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 1537 UTC »
Thanks for the update Redhat!  My antenna said it misses XFM.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 1543 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 2224 UTC »
Almost missed this posting.... :( I will certainly miss hearing that superb wide band AM signal from under the stars, as well as those playlists of songs that I otherwise would have missed, the great QSL's, email and postal, and will always treasure that awesome X-FM sticker! It has been awhile since I heard you and I intend to be there when things get better and you decide that it is again time to broadcast under the stars. Job well done Mr. Redhat!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 0423 UTC »
I understand, haven't had much time for listening the past couple of years. Sometimes life stuff gets in the way of the things we'd rather be doing. Always enjoyed your expertly produced shows and excellent signal.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline MrMomB

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 0218 UTC »
Loved your shows.  Awaiting your return.  73
Western New York - Buffalo - Niagara Falls.
Radios: 2x-Kenwood TS-890, TS-590; Elecraft KX3+PX3, KPA500 KXPA100, K3; Icom IC-7100
Antennas:160 inv L, 80 inv L, 27' GP and assorted wire

Offline fkradio

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 1702 UTC »
I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to get transmission gear to behave and at the same time trying to pay the bills.  As of late, things have been piling up faster around here than I care to admit, and progress on the transmitters and associated gear has been going far slower than I anticipated.  The looming date of Halloween, this list of things that must be finished beforehand brought me to a conclusion late last night that I didn't really want to admit, but now have to.  For the last six years or so, this has been my hobby, and one of my few remaining ways to blow off steam and have a good time.  Lately its become too much of a burden on my time and finances.  I'll never say I'm not coming back, but without a functioning transmitter and the spare funds to go out and play, it looks like its going to be a while.  Rather than half-ass something together, when we relaunch, it will be bigger and better than ever, even if only noticeable from this side of the mic.

I thank you all for your support over the years, your reports, and sticking through the rough conditions.  Needless to say unless something happens over the next month or so, Halloween is probably off the table, as are any show for the following year.

I'll still be hanging around the boards and helping folks where I can.

Thanks all,

+Redhat, X-FM Shortwave

Redhat, if you ever decide to sell some gear, unlikely as it may be... drop me a note. I might be interested, depending on what it is. I want to improve my broadcasts a bit.   

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 2158 UTC »
Not at this time.  I may in the future as we move to more built-in-house gear.  Feel free to send me a message if you or any other ops need engineering help.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me