We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Automatically Resize Your eQSL Images For Printing As Photos  (Read 1718 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I've started to print my eQSLs as photos using the Amazon Prints service (only 9 cents for 4x6 photo prints, and you can get larger sizes as well).   They are a little picky about the images, first of all they have to be JPEG format, no PNG or GIF images are allowed. And second, if the image is not a 4x6 aspect ratio, they will crop off parts of the image. That might be fine for regular photos, but is definitely not what you want to happen to eQSLs.

So I wrote an app to automatically add a border to images as necessary, so they are the correct aspect ratio for whatever size you want to print out. You can select a fixed color (black, white, yellow, whatever) or the app can pick the most common color from the edge of the image, and use that. Plus it saves it as a JPEG. You can process one image manually, or point it to a directory and it will convert every image file it finds. Much much easier than trying to do this by hand.

I have a beta version of the app here, it is available for Windows and macOS: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/automagic_photo_image_resizer_app.html

Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns