We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AirSpyHF+  (Read 5572 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
AirSpyHF+
« on: November 27, 2017, 2353 UTC »
Look what finally arrived in the mail today. Photographed next to the SDR-14, for size comparison.

From the first few minutes of use, seems pretty good. I will write up a full review and some side by side comparisons against my other SDRs. And then I will write some software for it  :)

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Re: AirSpyHF+
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 2044 UTC »
An early review of the Airspy HF+ is available in the December issue of "Radio User" (UK).
Mike Richards got a preproduction unit and goes through the new design:
-coverage: LF to VHF (up to 260 MHz)
-using a new type of mixer (frequency changer) ahead of the ADC: 16 phase mixer, giving adequate rejection of harmonics up to the 21th harmonic, so there's no need to use a bank of many RF filters ahead of the mixer, also no need of high gain preamplifier
-using a low phase-noise oscillator
-using a Sigma-Delta 16 bit ADC, followed by a digital filter (design said to produce less quantization noise)
- from there, a decimation stage (as usual), then the output
From only a few days of use, Mike Richards noticed a "pretty amazing" strong signal performance on VHF (around 138 Mhz) and on HF (around 7 MHz).

The key components makers were not named. Maybe we are at the beginning of a new generation of (almost) low cost and high performance SDRs ?

D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline curious george

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 0400 UTC »
Here's a free download link for the entire issue for those interested:

https://vk.com/doc448173336_454112114?hash=909522e91419174a37&dl=GQ4TONRUGAZTG:1511623889:839c02fd4badd7debe&api=1&no_preview=1

Download link was found here, in case it no longer works:

https://emagazinepdf.com/2017/11/radio-user-december-2017/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 1541 UTC »
I've been generally impressed so far. I have run into some images down on the LW band from SWBC stations, Youssef said they are still tweaking things (this can be done in software, via new DLLs). I have not run across any images on MW or HF.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 1108 UTC »
Here a nice comparison by Nils Schiffhauer (DK8OK), between the Elad FDM-S2 & the new AirSpyHF+ with 12 audio samples.
All recording have been made on a 20 meter quadloop antenna.

https://dk8ok.org/2017/12/06/airspy-hf-what-you-hear-is-what-you-get/
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 1804 UTC »
My comparison of the AirSpyHF+ vs the netSDR, with several audio recordings: http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=2361
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Weavis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 1706 UTC »
I am wondering if anyone has used the HF+ for QRSS or WSPR receive? I use a cheap $22 RTL-SDR and it is very stable. I am sorry to say that I also have an Airspy Mini with a Spyverter and the Mini is not frequency stable enough, after a warmup, to use with these two modes. That to me is very discouraging. I am considering the HF+ but am somewhat concerned by what I found with the Mini which costs 4 times the price of the RTL-SDR. Any comments or experiences would be helpful.

Thanks,
Larry

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 2016 UTC »
I've found the AirSpyHF+ to be extremely stable, frequency wise. I use it for SSTV decoding, as well as on the NDB band, and have not noticed any drift issues.

As a test I just ran WSJT-X for a while on 40m and got lots of WSPR decodes, including many from Europe even though it won't be dark here in the Eastern USA for a few hours.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Weavis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 2204 UTC »
Thank you Chris. May I ask what did you see on the drift column? That is where my Airspy Mini fails. Even after several hours I see drifts of up to +/- 4 but not consistently. I'll see a group of Zero decodes and the next decode I will see numerous stations with -4 drift. I check the stats page and no one else sees the driftdrift. On the other hand I can fire up my trusty SDR-RTL and rarely see any drifting of other station and when I do others verify it.

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 1836 UTC »
    Hey Chris, took the plunge today. Read your reviews that you have done throughout, and decided to order the Airspy HF+. I did like the frequency coverage of the SDRPlay a lot but for my use, I think this will be okay. I love HF no doubt, but the amateur radio side of me wants to start dabbling in the 2m range. I have a Kenwood TH- K2AT handheld and really haven't used it. I don't have anywhere near the setup you do as far as antennas, but I still think I will enjoy this a lot. I've been messing with computers since 1984 with my first Commodore 64 and 1541 floppy drive inputting homemade programs. Now I can integrate. Utilities I love also. Where is Airspy located in the U.S.? Do you know? I also bought my adapters from Amazon since they were cheaper. I'm kinda' psyched!! :)
RCVR: AIRSPY HF+
XMTR: Kenwood TH-K2 Handheld
ANT: Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper
KD8OPV   KDE3BG :)