We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: It takes listeners like you  (Read 1706 times)

Offline tesla

• View Profile
It takes listeners like you
« on: November 29, 2017, 2344 UTC »
Years ago I got started in this part 15 beacon stuff running a Medfer Beacon on 1675 khz with an ID of "D".  Back in those days there was only the LOWDOWN a little monthly publication  that the Medfer guys reported what beacons they heard.  I would get phone calls from other beacon operators
when "D" was being heard.  It seems so often that the Hifer beacon operators today don't do much listening and or reporting what they hear if they hear anything.

It really takes Listeners who report what they hear to make it worth having a beacon operating. So let me thank everyone of you guys that have spent some time listening to the 22 meter band.  More importantly that you actually reporting what you hear on this web site.  Chris was kind to let me start a page here on HFU that supports the HIFER movement. I thank him also.  John Davis spends his own money on the LWCA.ORG web site that supports Long Wave, Medfer and Hifer beacon operation and I thank him also.

Listeners keep the reports coming into HFU.  73 Bill in Pine Colorado    PCO 13563.55 Khz

P.S. The Lowdown newsletter still exist and one can find information up on lwca.org

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
Re: It takes listeners like you
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 2351 UTC »
Well said tesla,

It is great to see reports, and learn the when and where of our beacons' coverage

Please listen, log, and let us know who you heard and when you heard them :)

Ed

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 1255 UTC »
I seem to live in some sort of a 22 meter black hole here, rarely hearing anything. It might have to do with the antennas, the sky loop is rather large for the 22 meter band and probably not that efficient. I am hoping the new Crossed Parallel Loop will be a better performer on 22 meters, and I can actually log some beacons :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 1726 UTC »
I just got interested in 22m beacons. Having had a 10m beacon for many years for some reason I never tried to hunt those on 22m.

Thanks for putting up the beacon for us to hunt! :)
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/