We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: don't look for anything better for a few years...  (Read 2640 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
don't look for anything better for a few years...
« on: December 08, 2017, 1752 UTC »
don't look for anything better for a few years...  There won't be any improvement for a number of years...  Unless the Sun explodes and... 8 minutes  until... poof...

Yeah ignore this... I'm just a little angry...  Bad propagation, crappy antennas...  <sigh> it is what it is... sri folks...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: don't look for anything better for a few years...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 1906 UTC »
          Yeah? Then you'll have to do what I do and look for Sporadic "E" openings on 12M, 11M, 10M, and 6M. Tell ya what, it's nice having WWV back on 25MHz. At least that tells ya when you have a path open to Colorado. Then, check 12M, 10M, and 6M propagation at,     http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=W2LN&HF=N&DXC=ING2&GL=S
There's always propagation to somewhere, ya just gotta' find out where.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 1509 UTC »
There's still DX opportunities out there, it does require picking and choosing your bands more carefully. Lots of opportunities on the lower bands of course, and even the higher ones have occasional, if brief, openings.

Perhaps now is the time to take up NDB DXing on Longwave :)  https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/board,16.0.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 1730 UTC »
Yeah I know you guys are right but in a severe noise area like the one I'm in at the moment doesn't lend itself to moderate to weak signals...

I have heard some DX of late here but I am much too lazy to post anything anymore...  but I do post what bands are open to this area on the chat but I have noticed that the openings here don't mean there are openings on the same band in other places and vis versa...  Just the way things are I guess.

I was just letting off steam for a very bad day and receiving some equally bad news...

Ignore me... unless I'm trying to be funny...  then laugh ur butts off at me as I luv acting the fool :-)

vw
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 2222 UTC »
30 meters has been open during the day for the past few days. Granted, I've only been transmitting WSPR, but I've been heard in Australia and New Zealand on 5 watts.

Curt | W9SPY

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns