We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: the future of radio  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Bluebeard

• View Profile
    • Email
the future of radio
« on: July 17, 2008, 0908 UTC »
Hello everyone!  Thanks for allowing me to join you.  What I'm wondering is what people have observed happening to radio, given the mushrooming of other types of broadcast media.  How many people still listen to the radio and has there been a trend towards closing-down traditional transmitters?

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
Re: the future of radio
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 1630 UTC »
General Shortwave listening concerns me as being in some peril, with stations transmitting via internet stations and satellite rather than traditional means. I listen to a number of differing types of stations, spynumbers, utility, milcomms and such, and those don't seem to have "plans" for disappearing in favor of other modes,  but I worry that simple listening to cultural programming over shortwave might eventually disappear.

I'd be interested in what other folks think.
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 0447 UTC »
I see a future for domestic sw broadcasting as it remains the most effective way for many countries to reach their rural populations. I fear international sw broadcasts are going the way of the rotary dial telephone. The exception being religious broadcasters who use international sw as a means to get their message into countries that do not allow them entrance by any other means.  I recently read an interesting quote from a marketing professional - "The Great American Newspaper is a dying entity. Primary readership is now adults over 50. Most young people get their news from the internet, satellite radio, & television."  I would suggest that for today's high speed, multitasking cultures, sw radio - like the newspaper -  is not an attractive consideration.  I think that within the radio industry, youthful managers moving into decision making positions will see international sw broadcasts as a medium who's time has come and gone.

I would also suggest that the availability of the internet has caused a reduction in the number of people choosing pirate radio as a means to be heard. I think for the youth of today, it offers an easy and legal outlet that was not available to previous generations. But unlike international sw, pirate radio will always have it's hardcore rebels of all ages. So I think it will never completely disappear. :)
L Cee
East Coast - USA

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 0521 UTC »
Ditto L Cee's observations.  Due to physics and economics, HF in AM mode will remain a viable form of regional communication.  It's the best way to reach a large regional audience with a minimal outlay of equipment, including the antenna.

I'm betting on a boom in unlicensed clandestines offering programming of regional interest worldwide, mostly in HF.  Here's why.

MW requires too much antenna to be stealthy.  Unlicensed operators in the traditional FM spectrum are too easy to triangulate - Ofcom's plans to scour Great Britain to map radio spectrum usage is almost certainly intended to stamp out unlicensed FM broadcasters.  When pirates and clandestines with special interest cultural and political programming, news, etc., want to be heard, they'll turn to shortwave.

HF lends itself to set-and-forget regional programming, with low powered homebrewed transmitters.  Load a Corsair or comparable rig, battery and mp3 player into a stealthy container and stash it.  Rig up a stealthy antenna that can handle 10 watts or so.  Walk away.

The major news media are little more than corporate shills.  Local daily newspapers are struggling.  The internet will be the next target for micro-management by government and corporate interests because it scares them - too easy to communicate independently of "authorized" sources.  Moves are already afoot to limit internet use by raising prices, and sneaky tricks to make it difficult to navigate freely.  Nature abhors a vacuum.  Clandestines and pirates will use HF to scream into that void created by managed news, propaganda and lukewarm pop culture schlock.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)