We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate Radio station heard on 87.7 FM playing Hip Hop music.  (Read 37328 times)

Offline gccradioscience

• View Profile
    • Email
There is a new pirate radio station on 87.7 FM that is below 88.1 FM playing hip hop music.   It's called Street 87.7 FM.  I was setting up my new Sony CFD-S70 boombox, and I was presetting memories, and I came across this pirate FM station that was coming in very clear.    It was first heard at 3:30 AM. 

gccradioscience
Virginia Beach, VA

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Re: Pirate Radio station heard on 87.7 FM playing Hip Hop music.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 2019 UTC »
Kind of a late response, but other online info says this is licensed to Hampton University. I didn't realize that stations could be licensed to 87.7
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 2205 UTC »
There are channel 6 TV stations operating as radio stations.

"Low-power broadcasters face a deadline in July 2021 to convert to digital, which will end the stations' operations on radio."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_6_radio_stations_in_the_United_States

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 2056 UTC »
Those stations on analog TV CH6 87.750MHz have been called Franken-FM stations by Radio Survivor, and they covered that too,   http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2018/01/30/podcast-127-franken-fms-are-low-power-tv-stations-masquerading-as-radio/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 2348 UTC »
Back in July '17, WGN on 87.7 made it all the way up here one morning. Got a clear ID on it at the time.

One fun thing to do to pass the time during the commute is to check 87.7 & 87.9. There are a fair number of other drivers with their little Part 15 transmitters playing their selection of whatever. Usually only get a few seconds as we pass opposite directions on the freeway. Rarely get someone going my direction nearby.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline blw

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 2228 UTC »
I got a faint hit today on 87.7. I'm between Atlanta and Montgomery Al. This one is west, in the Montgomery direction.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 0351 UTC by blw »
All logs made from my own SDRs, boatanchors, and antennas
QTH: vicinity of Auburn, Alabama

please eQSL to: slowrollsandloops@gmail.com (thank you)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns