We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Question re placing an audio capacitor on a small speaker  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Question re placing an audio capacitor on a small speaker
« on: January 07, 2018, 0137 UTC »
I have built a DTMF tone generator following this guide that I found online.

In the construction section of the guide, the author recommends soldering a 4.7mF capacitor to both of the speaker's negative and positive terminals.

Can anyone explain to me what the purpose is of having that capacitor in place? Does it improve the sound quality? Or does it do something else? (I've got the tone generator built and it works great, but the sound quality is slightly tinny).

And my apologies if this post is placed in the wrong section of the board. I looked and didn't see an area that was less about radios in general and specifically for electronics.

Thanks,

Curt / W9SPY

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question re placing an audio capacitor on a small speaker
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 0152 UTC »
Looks like it's used for wave shaping
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 0154 UTC by Azimuth Coordinator »
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 0231 UTC »
Looks like it's used for wave shaping

Wave shaping, as in sawtooth, sine, and square?

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 0300 UTC »
             Another thought (It didn't hurt that bad.), is the 4.7uF CAP across that speaker maybe a crude LPF (Low Pass Filter.) There maybe some oscillator clock hash that maybe audible at the speaker, and this is a quick way to suppress that. I'm just speculating here, but I've seen it done in circuits where that's happened, and this is a quick way to remedy that.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 0310 UTC »
             Another thought (It didn't hurt that bad.), is the 4.7uF CAP across that speaker maybe a crude LPF (Low Pass Filter.) There maybe some oscillator clock hash that maybe audible at the speaker, and this is a quick way to suppress that. I'm just speculating here, but I've seen it done in circuits where that's happened, and this is a quick way to remedy that.

Thanks. The guide says that the capacitor is "used to round off the generated square waves." So that sounds like the capacitor will help to generate more of a smoother, sine wave-type sound.