We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Coast Station KSM  (Read 2963 times)

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Coast Station KSM
« on: December 05, 2010, 0121 UTC »
Coast Station KSM on 6474.0 CW - SINPO 55555
0030 - "cq de KSM KSM KSM qsx 500/4/6/8/12/16/22 obs? amver? qra?"
This was repeated numerous times for the next 5 minutes
0035 - left the air
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: aurora6925 (at) mail.com
Icom 756Pro3 rig & 133 ft Carolina-Windom ant
Pittsburgh PA

Offline 4405486

• View Profile
Re: Coast Station KSM
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 1853 UTC »
Terrific bunch of people and nice catch in Pittsburgh, PA. My understanding is that this Coastal Station is intended to service a 1,000 mile area Seaward. I have the KPH 100 Aniversary "Night of Nights" QSL Card- A prized possession. I was useing one of those MFJ Kit built Receivers and was in Oceanside, California at the time. They now have an Amateur Operator up there; so now can communicate two-way... if I would ever get around to doing some more building. 55555 nice: wish they would supply more detailed information about thier Antenna Farm. Cheers KG6QNK ..

Offline DOCTOR

• INDIANA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 0135 UTC »
They have a place on yahoo groups, shall we say receive only, they will send bulletins out when they are on or trying a different frequency. Denise is gone now the qsl mistress on a ship so they need another op when they are open, would be a neat experience...to operate, I hear them in Indiana on the weekends, if you can't copy cw no big deal download multipsk  and it will copy for you or other modes.

DOCTOR :)
DOCTOR/WA7026SWL

INDIANA
RCVR...EATON S350DL, TESCUN PL600
ANTENNA...GRUNDIG INDOOR LOOP MW
WHIP, LONGWIRE...
ALINCO DX 70T/END FED WIRE

***PLEASE QSL***

Offline 4405486

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 2014 UTC »
I hope Denise is not gone for long. My 100 year Aniversary "Night of Nights" Verification is in the form of a RCA Marine Radiogram. Denise wrote on the back how much she enjoyed my report- in "Pink" ink: "I enjoyed your letter very much! Keep Listening!

I'm looking at the Verfication right now.  For  KSM it says all Transmitters between 4-5 KW with double extended zepp antennas and H-over-2Antenna. Somewhat familar Zepp Antennas but not H-over-2's. I'm suprised at the signal quality back East.

They have several excellent videos. I repaired the Mod 28 TTY type equipment featured in one of thier videos in the Miliatary. Also google for thier excellent Website. You do not need to be a Morse Code enthusiast to enjoy this.

I knocked myself out for that Verfication- maximum amount of persuasion.
Cheers 73 ES 88 DE KG6QNK ..

P.S. Just visited: Maritime Radio Historical Society at: www.radiomarine.org/
I would encourage anyone passionate about Radio to visit this site. I don't want to insult anyone; but in the interests of clarification, these are Commercial Operators with the apropriate Licenses. The Amateur operation up there is: K6KPH. My understanding is that the term "HAM" was a derogatory term used by commercial morse operators to describe amateur morse operators. My Morse abilities ain't all that great, but I try hard. Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 1855 UTC by 4405486 »