We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate? Or Numbers? 6925 kHz, USB, a few times  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Pirate? Or Numbers? 6925 kHz, USB, a few times
« on: December 05, 2010, 1718 UTC »
Howdy all,

Two subjects, Pirates and Numbers, both near and dear to my listening heart, covered in one post ;)

A couple of times now I have heard a transmission on 6925 kHz USB that is intriguing to me.  This is a very popular Pirate freq, in the middle of a range that is also very popular with pirates in the US.  6850 to 6980 is probably the most used freq range by SW Pirate BCs in North America.

On 12/04 at 0100 I heard a numbers transmission on 6925 kHz USB, very weak, only catching parts of it, but definitely there and definitely numbers with lead-in music.  In fact, I could not really hear much of it and did not know the details until another listener provided me with a recording of it.  Now, numbers around this freq are not that terribly uncommon, I hear Pirate ops doing numbers spoofs several times a year on average.  And after the recent Fringe TV show aired I heard no less than half a dozen on 6955 kHz, the freq used on the TV show.  But this one sounds slightly different to me, no laughing, no references to Borris or Natasha, no whispered parts, no mentions of double secret squirrel, no repeated 666 number combinations, etc.

On 12/05 at 0230 there was a similar numbers transmission, following the same basic structure but with some changes.  Again, very much down in the noise for me, I could not hear details until provided a copy of a recording by someone else.

In general it appears that listeners on the east coast are getting these transmissions better than listeners on the west coast.  In the #wunclub and #pirate IRC channels several people were making real time reports.  East was pretty much always better than west.  My 035 deg Rhombic pulled it in the best for me, but still just in the noise floor.

A little research also reveals that on 11/28 a listener reported hearing the station, again on 6925 kHz USB, at 0230.  A recording of that reception sounds identical to the 12/04, 0100 UTC, signal.

So far the signal has only been reported on Pirate forums.  That is understandable as pirate listeners spend the most time watching this chunk of spectrum.

Reports and recordings here:
11/28/2010:  http://www.frn.net/vines/Forum4/HTML/018885.html
12/04/2010:  http://www.frn.net/vines/Forum4/HTML/018911.html
12/05/2010:  http://www.frn.net/vines/Forum4/HTML/018935.html

The general consensus right now is that this is a Pirate and a spoof, but so far no one has claimed it.

A quick look at the Spynumbers Database shows that at least 20 different actual numbers stations have used this frequency range, thousands of times between 6850 and 6990 kHz, and almost 2000 times between 6900 and 6950 kHz.  Stations such as E3, E5, E6, E7, E10, E11, G6, G7, M1, M3, M8, M10, M12, M13, M14, M22, M31, M51, M52, M56, MX, S6, S10, S17, SK01, V2, and V7 have all been reported in the 6900 to 6950 kHz range.

Two things are immediately suspicious about this transmission.  The frequency is number one and immediately brings it all into question.  But, the TX includes a phrase in it that is … unusual.  In the first two transmissions the phrase “the apple is in the tree” was included.  It looks like the latest one changed that to “the apple is on the ground”.  This is the kind of thing spy movies would use, and again causes immediate suspicion.

But, without those two factors I find the TX to be at least somewhat believable as a numbers TX.

So, what say ye, numbers?  Or a Pirate having a go?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 1720 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
Re: Pirate? Or Numbers? 6925 kHz, USB, a few times
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 1907 UTC »
I'll be QRV.

The apple thing is suspicious.  I would guess Commander Bunny's involvement.  But, don't quote me on that.  C.B. has done a lot of different creative things.  Numbers wouldn't be a stretch.

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pirate? Or Numbers? 6925 kHz, USB, a few times
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 2010 UTC »
I loves it, I would doubt it's a legit #'s station, not with that intro music, LOL.  Great catch, though.
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio