We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Two Colorado pirates off after FCC raids last week.  (Read 2287 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Two Colorado pirates off after FCC raids last week.
« on: January 29, 2018, 0942 UTC »
From NOW...

Two long-time Colorado pirates go dark after last week’s visits by the FCC.

“Way High Radio” in Ward, Colorado reportedly has been in operation for much of the time since 1997 – but this was its first in-person visit by Uncle Sam. The Boulder Daily Camera. has the story, and it’s telling that the paper identifies the Ward station as “KWHR/90.5” – and one in Nederland as “KNED/93.1” - with legal-looking calls. Way High Radio posted on Facebook that “We are under attack from the FCC.” The visits fit in with the crusades of FCC Commissioners Mike O’Rielly and Chairman Ajit Pai. The local paper says that in Ward, Colorado, the feds could’ve found Way High Radio from its website – which says it’s next to the town hall. A personality from KNED said “We were kind of expecting” the FCC to drop by, “because of the station in Longmont, which really kind of pushed the envelope” for the Commission. The January 4 NOW had the story about Commissioner O’Rielly roasting the online Longmont Observer publication, because it had supposedly “romanticized” pirate radio in an item about Green Light Radio. It styles itself as “KGLR.” Both Way High and KNED continue their online streams.

https://mailchi.mp/tomtaylornow/tom-taylor-now-123321?e=abf99c396a

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Two Colorado pirates off after FCC raids last week.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 2353 UTC »
They have been Extremely aggressive on FM  enlisting the Maryland office to supplement the New York area enforcement..  Must have to due with a recent filing for Bankruptcy  and a 15 Billion debt trying to be restructured

http://deadline.com/2017/12/radio-creditors-reject-iheartmedia-debt-pitch-bankruptcy-1202218461/ 
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 0051 UTC »
I remember Clear Channel's original and only regional office in a nearby city. It was in a rundown building in the middle of the bustling crack and ho section of town. No wonder they were always advertising for employees?

That city is making landlords tear down abandoned and rundown houses and buildings. At least 30,000$ bucks by local rates to knock down a building of that size wedged between others, and at least two to three times as much to remove and dispose of the asbestos before they can. Those creditors are going to love getting a lot in that neighborhood worth about 6-8K, if that much. If you want to build on you can't. Why? It sits in a floodplain. You can't get insurance for new construction in that section of that town.

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 2003 UTC »
Were they raided "live" on air?

And is there maybe a recording ?

André
CoolAM Radio - ShortWave
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 0104 UTC »
 8)  In 2007 I drove to Brattleboro, Vt where for at least ten years Radio Free Brattleboro had been operating. The station was a mire ten watts with antenna on some building in the down town. I copied it just fine and it wasn't even stereo! But it's range was only a mile up and down I 91 ! A broadcaster in Mass had complained to FCC, but for no good reason, just making waves.
It took a decade, but finally the Federal Judge signed a warrant to get FCC in on a bust.
They came into the station with a crow bar in early morning, no staff were there. They confiscated every piece of gear including mixers and CD players.
They had TWO armed federal marshals and dupped the local police to help them. Probably wrong because the station had strong community support.
Later they had egg on face and did award a low power construction permit in 2010. If the equipment was ever returned I never heard. Generally FCC holds a grudge against any person or organization that defies it. You will be punished. The principles of Free Radio were never awarded a license.
The good news is that LPFM does today have support and community participation the Free Station had.
It took FCC ten years, but when they struck it was with VIOLENCE and break in.
I think this says FCC is really a bunch of Barney Fifes.. really sissy pants :-X

How could I get this wrong? This says Bust was earlier than 2007?
Amazes how they waste tax money on this defending the false fears and claims of licensed for profits.
Even NPR which I detest, made claims its stations would be interfered with if FCC allowed LPFM.
In fact NPR and Religious thunder boxes which are NOT educational broadcasters populate low end of FM band.

http://www.mediageek.net/2005/06/brattleboro-reformer-on-rfb-raid-eyewitness-account-and-police-chief-distances-his-force/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 0114 UTC by digitalmod »
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 0149 UTC »
I remember that raid and the raid of Ramsey Electronics in the same manner in that period. What did the FCC have the local authorities convinced of, the Ramsey's were making death rays under the guise of of that PVC ferrite magnetic antenna kit they used to sell?

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 1719 UTC »
Useless Government at work, free society and people at risk :-\
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter