We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Washington State Ham Group Tracks Interference  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Washington State Ham Group Tracks Interference
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 1757 UTC »
A HAM friend traveled across the eastern end of Nebraska to find a 2m source that was causing HAM chaos in Omaha/Counciltucky area. Others had given up trying to find it as it was so far away yet still tripping repeaters, it was some commercial thing way up a tower with high power that had a spur on 2m, he informed the folks who owned it and they fixed it. Something like 80 or 100 miles away from Omaha. HAMs will spend their own time and money on stuff like that if it's technically interesting or a challenge.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 1233 UTC »
As a non-ham, but one who has monitored the HF ham bands over the years, I'd say it's a good idea, just as long as it doesn't turn into a sort of vigilantism, which I doubt it ever would become.

On a semi-related note, while doing research on the Indonesian 'village radio' ham pirates that hang out around 6999 khz and thereabouts, I found a ham website where dedicated hams the world over report all of the intruding signals -- pirate hams, spurs, military and other intrusive signals -- on the HF ham bands. Whether it does any good, I wouldn't know, but at least they're reporting it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 0718 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 1744 UTC »
When working for a radio station 15 or so years ago, I did similar.  Our RPU system in the 450 band was receiving interference.  It looked like some rogue signal sweeping through the band.  We traced it to a malfunctioning paging transmitter 7 miles away from our receive site.  The owners were contacted and had it fixed within a week.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 2353 UTC »
I had a nosy ham do drive by of one of my tx sites. He didn't bother to hang around when he spotted the sizable brush knife on my belt.  If he'd seen what was in the holster on the other side, he would have had ruined his pants and his upholstery.

It was bear and weed growing country. If I hadn't been been related to half the county, there's no way in Hell I'd have been back in there. Ham's need to know the country and the situation in it before they go "Pirate Busting". It may not be pirates at all they're giving the fish-eye to, but someone who will leave them in a shallow grave never to be found.

We used to howl at weed growers sitting on a patch this time of year waiting for harvest. They communicated via CB for supplies. Everyone with a CB radio, which were common as dirt at the time knew who they were, you could recognize their voices. In rural counties no judge, prosecutor, or sheriff was going to go after them, you couldn't convene a jury w/o  having someone they knew on it and come election year you were likely going to be out on your ass for going after Uncle Bub. Those were the good old days.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 2103 UTC »
Round these parts tweakers are cookin dope in them woods and theys plumb crazy. Did you know dope is now meth rather than mariquanna?

Also related to interference tracking and the Omaha/Counciltucky region;

Some cb playa had a "few" kw in his suburban and was keying up 2m repeaters all over town via 11m spurs.
The local HAMs informed him the fcc would take a dim view if he continued, he continued, fcc did indeed take a dim view, and said cb playa lost some money/gear on the deal. He was also interfering with commercial air, and that's what sealed his fate.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns