We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Possible pirate beacon at 8656 kHz  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Possible pirate beacon at 8656 kHz
« on: February 17, 2018, 1624 UTC »
While scanning for HF commercial aircraft voice traffic on Token's SDR, I spotted this signal in the SDR's waterfall. It has a one-second interval transmitted tone or dash, operating well outside of the amateur radio bands. Pirate beacon?

Curt / W9SPY

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Possible pirate beacon at 8656 kHz
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 1853 UTC »
Unfortunately I don't think this is a real signal.  This is probably some kind of RFI that popped up on my receiver a few days ago.  I have not yet chased it down to find the source.  If you look around you should find it on several different freqs, probably more than a dozen, all apparently on some multiple of about 61 kHz.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 2138 UTC »
Unfortunately I don't think this is a real signal.  This is probably some kind of RFI that popped up on my receiver a few days ago.  I have not yet chased it down to find the source.  If you look around you should find it on several different freqs, probably more than a dozen, all apparently on some multiple of about 61 kHz.

T!

Yes, that makes sense. Right after I discovered this signal, I spent a bit of time entering the 8656 frequency into a variety of other SDRs located all around the United States and could not find the signal anyplace else other than on your SDR.

Curt / W9SPY

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 1717 UTC »
Yes, this is some kind of local noise.  Exactly what it is I do not know, I have killed all the power on the property and it is still there.  Time to break out the loop and drive around a bit.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns