We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ON5KQ DGPS logs  (Read 680 times)

Offline Uli_Bel

• View Profile
ON5KQ DGPS logs
« on: March 11, 2018, 1245 UTC »
Dear,
had to recover from sickness... so not much radio work in the last weeks.. sorry.

Some more news from the test of very small EWE-ant (2.5m x 5m x 2.5m = 10m wire in total)
- I found out, that my test installation was coupling in various other structures around, degrading the pattern
- Today, I cleaned up the sourrounding of the little Test-EWE ant. as much as possible, taking down various other antennes, wires, etc... have detuned the tower today, etc.

Result: much cleaner pattern and much better performance of the little EWE, also on 300kHz (unexpectedly!)

Will try to make some recording coming night.

Comparison with 170m of wire (running southeast/northwest = beverage on higher frequencies) is very encouraging:
UK beacons are with better S/N on the small EWE, than 170m wire.(main direction of both antennas). Scandinavian stations (90deg off main direction) are weaker on EWE than 170m Beverage.
Back direction is about -10 to -15db to front direction - I think, that is what I can expect of the little EWE.

Will now make some daylight comparisons on 300kHz to the very large EWE (20m x 60m x 20m = 100m wire = 10x larger as little version) - will report results here...

Regards from Belgium,
ON5KQ