We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AirSpy HF+ Setup Problem  (Read 4235 times)

Offline 8 tattoos

• Toms River NJ
  • Please QSL to williamkhertz@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
AirSpy HF+ Setup Problem
« on: March 11, 2018, 1728 UTC »
It says to raise the gain using the slider on the right until noise floor reaches 5 db. Try to do this slider control doesn't respond. The sample rate is supposed to be 10 MSPS and the display is supposed to be 8 mhz. I have neither of those and set a frequency to a local AM radio station but I have no reception. I clicked the start triangle and it says cannot open device What am I doing wrong?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: AirSpy HF+ Setup Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 1813 UTC »
The HF+ has a sample rate of 768 kHz, not 10 MHz. I am not sure what software you are using, SDR#? Sounds like you have not actually selected the HF+ as the device to use.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline 8 tattoos

• Toms River NJ
  • Please QSL to williamkhertz@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 1828 UTC »
that's what it was I hadn't selected hf +

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 1924 UTC »
Hey man, how do you like your HF+? Is it really sensitive? What software do you use with it?
RCVR: AIRSPY HF+
XMTR: Kenwood TH-K2 Handheld
ANT: Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper
KD8OPV   KDE3BG :)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 2059 UTC »
I mostly use it now to monitor 14230 for SSTV. I've used it in the past over most of HF as well as LW and MW and it seems sensitive enough. For a while I was using it on 13560 to monitor the low power 22m beacons (which typically run only a few mW) and it did a great job there.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 0131 UTC »
    Thanks. I had read where it was considered more sensitive than some of the other medium to high end sdr's and I was wanting to know. The only thing I was bummed about was that it doesn't go up to a Geg or above in frequency. I think it stops at what? 260 or 360 MHz? I thought it was possible to get weather sats on 2 or 300. Not sure. Gosh, when you get older the reading comprehension goes right out the door! And also, when you bought yours, did you buy it direct from them?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 1055 UTC »
It's a good radio, but not quite as sensitive as my netSDR (which is $1500). It tunes up to 31 MHz, then a gap, then 60-260 MHz. They're using a commercial tuner IC for the consumer market, hence the frequency range. It will also tune L band 1200-1650 MHz as that is used for digital radio in Europe. But not 1090 MHz for ADS-B.

I got mine direct from them.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 1943 UTC »
 If I had an hf plus, I'd use that to listen to hf, and use the RSP2 as its wideband panadaptor. The hf plus is designed for superior hf performance for its price range.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 1844 UTC »
     Thanks all. I have decided to spring for an HF+. I ordered today and I don't know where they ship from, but I'm really excited to see how it is. I bought my adapters at Amazon and everything is ready to go. I just have one antenna right now and I'll probably put more up in the spring. I figured that this would be a good radio to show me the ins and outs of SDR and maybe later on I will upgrade to something like the netSDR.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 1927 UTC »
You will quickly learn that antennas put up in the howling winds, ice, snow, sleet, and rain will outperform those installed on a perfect day.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 2016 UTC »
Yeah Man! You got that right. I'm sitting here like a kid waiting patiently for my package. It will be here tomorrow. Do ya'll use SDR# or SDR Console or something different? I'm a computer person, so eventually I want to be able to integrate everything to PC. For logging, since I no longer use paper, I got DXtreme. Are there any other good ones out there? I believe with DXtreme, that there is a way to link my SDR, but I would not be able to use SDR#. Instead I would have to use SDR Console. So.....If there is anyone out there that has a HF+, or uses DXtreme, any suggestions, pointers you have, I welcome with open arms. The SDR thing is completely new to me. I want to eventually get back into the utility side. I was laughing to myself today. If I eventually change everything over to PC, I could arrange all equipment, filters, preamps etc and in the end it would look like and be wired the same way PLC's are. I'm pretty sure a lot of this equipment can be mounted on DIN rail. I mean, basically what we all want to do is just stay seated in front of our equipment and have everything automated. (If not I guess I need therapy)

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 0140 UTC »
Is there any special software to use with my HF+? I did download sharp and install. Is SDR Console or HDSDR about the same thing? Is there advantages from one to the other?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 1208 UTC »
I usually run SdrConsole with my HF+ although I have SDR# as well.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD