We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Confused about Modes  (Read 1019 times)

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
Confused about Modes
« on: April 06, 2018, 2143 UTC »
I'm confused about Modes as it would relate to logging a reception. I'm currently working on revising my spreadsheet in hopes of creating a database for logging my receptions.

While looking at the HFUnderground Wiki under "Signal_Identification#Mode" I see the common modes I'm use to (AM, FM, LSB, USB, CW)  along with "Non Communications Modes" like radars. Then under "DATA Signals"  there is a list of various modes like FSK, MFSK, etc.  This is where I'm getting confused. Looking at this video from Token's Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKlLW_J8kEU the signal is identified as "MIL STD 188-141 ALE" and "USB". How would I log this if I only have one column (or field) for "Mode". Is there an additional column or field name I should add and which mode would go into which field?

I hope my questions make sense. 

Thanks,

Kent/K5KNT
K5KNT

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Confused about Modes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 0110 UTC »
You could add one more field for modulation or encoding type.  Many of the data type modes are transmitted using SSB radios with the data modulated at the baseband level, kinda like composite stereo used for FM stations actually containing DSB-SC modulation at 38 KHz then modulated by FM.

Just a thought,

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about Modes
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 1758 UTC »
Mil141A mode is technically mfsk8, but is most often noted simply as ALE, and most often but not always sent as USB. That being said, there are a number of ALE modes out there, Alis, CIS ALE 150, 3g ALE (wich is psk not mfsk), it's a crazy world right now for digital modes and new modes are being added all the time.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.