We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Whats all that at 6935+  (Read 1189 times)

rdla4

Whats all that at 6935+
« on: January 13, 2011, 2358 UTC »
Data bursts etc between 6935 and 6945. Strong. What is that?

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Whats all that at 6935+
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 2000 UTC »
At the time you sent this there was a rather strong Link 11 ISB signal in that range.  I am guessing that is what you are talking about but rather hard to be sure wihtout a bit more to go on.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 2111 UTC »
Ditto, Token's post.  TADILs are fairly common in that freq range and that particular variety near 6940 has been fairly strong here lately in the evenings.  Besides piratical malfeasance there are lots of utes (voice and data), maritime and unofficial voice comms and a few international broadcasters between 6700-7000.

If you dig around the archives here and elsewhere you'll often find audio recordings with samples of almost everything audible on HF.  I lost my bookmarks for other sites that host those recordings but Googling around will find 'em pretty easily.  Or, using the search box here on HFU, use "mediafire" or "yousendit" as search terms and it'll turn up several logs that include recordings of some utes and unid signals.  Unfortunately many of the "yousendit" links will have expired by now, but most of the mediafire links should still be good.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

rdla4

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 2234 UTC »
Thanks for that information. It was unusually strong here yesterday, and stayed there for hours. Thanks again!