We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: gotta catch em all  (Read 3738 times)

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
gotta catch em all
« on: May 05, 2018, 0455 UTC »
90's throwback, perhaps this has been said before.
Non Directional Beacons are the SWL's version of pokemon.

1.they just say their names over and over.
2. enthusiasts will go great lengths to "catch" new and unsusual ones, including travelling to remote locations.
3. somewhat special equipment is required to hear them. and people will even get competitive about building special antennas, converters, etc.
4. the more you find, the more you know, the better you get at finding new ones.

i'm sure there are more,  and I also don't know as much about pokemon as I could. Anyone find the resemblance striking?
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: gotta catch em all
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 0505 UTC »
People get their kick in strange ways.  I just saw a piece on Live PD where a guy (somehow) had tied himself to a bed in fishnets....housekeeping found him.  He was OK but a little emBARE-ASSed about being on TV in front of the local PD.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline SevenTrees'

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 2243 UTC »
That is a striking resemblance, never thought of it that way before, however pokemon hack works awesome.
Don't have to travel anywhere, teleport to Tokyo or California Pier 39.  That's how you catch em all.   :o
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 2245 UTC by SevenTrees' »
Please eQSL SevenTreesRadio@hotmail.com
Icom 7851 plugged into home-brew aerial.
Thanks, and SevenTrees'

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 1638 UTC »
Oc is oc, no matter the obsession.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline SevenTrees'

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 2031 UTC »
Haha OCD, don't taze me bro, it's a prank bro.  And it is totally legit.
Thanks, and SevenTrees'

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 2111 UTC »
You guys need to find women to take care of your Squirtle's or they'll find the bunch of you in your folks basements dead of ruptured Bulbasaur's.

Does anyone remember the hacked Furbees during that craze? They said soothing things to children like, "I'm going to kill you in your sleep", out of the box. A wholesaler sold the things to a couple of low-budget discount chains. A friends daughter got stuck with one of the them.

I don't think it was ever discovered who did it? It happened before they were boxed and shipped in the factory. Creative, but cruel, as it was the 2-4 y.o. set that wanted the things.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 1823 UTC »
Lol@squirtles

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 1045 UTC »
It seemed like a natural.

Offline SevenTrees'

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 1731 UTC »
LOL @ the swearing Furbees out of the box, I forgot about that one.  Wonder where they were manufactured, my bet is on China.  How about the China Toy Manufacturer who committed suicide, after getting caught for saving money, by using poisonous paint.  Wonder how many children he killed, and they were shipped to the US!!!  China.  >:(

And China Again...  >:(
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/19/china-based-hacking-breached-satellite-defense-companies-symantec.html
Hacking our satellites, not good.

Anyway, I have great respect for Beacon Operators.  They let us know when the bands are Open.
They run QRP 24/7, 365 days a year.  To me that is Awesome, and deserves much Respect.
Peace.

P.S. My Snorlax, and Blissey will pee on you'r Squirtle...  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 0141 UTC by SevenTrees' »
Thanks, and SevenTrees'

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 0228 UTC »
I would have called b.s. on the Furbee's if I hadn't heard the thing in action. That poor girl is twenty-five and still talks about her time with the thing before Mom and Dad heard it one night. She was about three then.

The place it came from was part of the old "Value City" chain of stores. I picked up a cheap combo cordless phone and answering machine at one in the early 90's. Unknowingly, it was prone to having it's recorder message chip hacked. I had that thing for about six months, and it got nailed with a bug that made it play, "Deep In The Heart Of Texas", following the "please leave a message" beep. I thought it was hilarious, my wife wasn't happy. Heck, it may have cost all of eight bucks with tax? I bought a better phone.

The best thing to come from there were the cordless doorbells they sold. We lived in a neighborhood about three miles from one of their larger outlets in those days. Half the people on the block must have bought those things? Every time someone had a visitor or a pizza was delivered, there would be five or six doors open w/ people looking around. My wife bought one the things, it got "broken" early on. I figured people could knock if they really needed us.

Offline SevenTrees'

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 0237 UTC »
Things were different in the 90's, Cordless phones, baby monitors, cell phones.  All wide open for us to listen to.  ;D
My favorite thing to do back then was to listen to police scanner, if it was important they would tell other cop to call him on his cell, then he would give out his number, I switch scanner to cell freq, and catch em all.  8)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 0247 UTC by SevenTrees' »
Thanks, and SevenTrees'

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 2155 UTC »
I was about 5 I had figured out how to put batteries in the old baby monitor (my parents had gotten a new one), being an analog device, once I had fiddled with the dip switches(by random chance) it managed to talk to the new one. Scared the hell out of my parents when I dropped it and made a crashing noise.
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline SevenTrees'

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 1948 UTC »
I used to make miniature cb transmitters, and put them near houses with cb antennas.  :o
Also it was a great time to make free long distance calls, by making a simple tone generator.  ;)
No ten cents, or quarter needed to make long distance phone calls from any public pay phone.  8)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 1957 UTC by SevenTrees' »
Thanks, and SevenTrees'

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 2057 UTC »

Offline SevenTrees'

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 0140 UTC »
Cool Site Josh, Thank You.
Thanks, and SevenTrees'