We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: a few lost hams in spanish on 6970 USB  (Read 1421 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
a few lost hams in spanish on 6970 USB
« on: January 28, 2011, 2337 UTC »
I'm hearing two guys banter back and forth in spanish.  anyone else hear it?  Whats with all the noise on 6900 lately, all I hear is tones and data.
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: a few lost hams in spanish on 6970 USB
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 1720 UTC »
Pescadores - there's plenty of official and even more out-of-band chatter between 6200-7000 audible throughout the Americas, mostly Spanish and English but occasionally in other languages depending on who's off the coast and which coast is nearest you.  Some are designated maritime freqs, some aren't.  There's also a designated freq between 6950-7000 (don't recall which at the moment) used by Mexico for maritime weather and occasionally Spanish language voice announcements and CW can be heard there.

If you search the logs here and elsewhere, including those for numbers, utilities and unidentified signals you'll find plenty of frequencies to monitor for transmissions other than pirates.

Here in Texas pretty much all I ever hear on or near 6900 is pescadores and unid data.  Occasionally I'll catch a weak carrier for a pirate station but it's usually buried by other signals presumably coming from the Gulf or south of the border.  Likewise fairly frequent Spanish language QSOs between 6925-6930 tend to QRM pirate stations operating in that popular frequency range.

Back in 2007 I heard a couple of broadcasts between 6955-6970 that sounded like professionally done radio talk shows in either Spanish or Portuguese, but in USB so presumably not official broadcasts from Mexico or S. America (although I suppose it's possible they may run USB only as does AFN here in the U.S. on 7811 and 5446.5 USB).

You might also hear an AM station around 6973 - Galei Zahal from Israel.  It's often mistaken for a pirate.  Used to come in strongly here but I haven't heard them well since early or mid 2010.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Captain Crunch

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 0457 UTC »
Galei Zahal from Israel is still going I caught them in the last couple of weeks.
Kenwood Ts 430s on vertical
Kenwood Ts 140s on rotatable dipole
Radio Shack Dx 394 on longwire
Satellit 750 on Multiband Diapole

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 1726 UTC »