We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ion Radio 6930.3 AM 1412 UTC 26 May 2018  (Read 592 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ion Radio 6930.3 AM 1412 UTC 26 May 2018
« on: May 26, 2018, 1412 UTC »
1412 UTC OM talking about pirate radio
1413 UTC Audio dropped down to inaudible

Listened back on the short recording and it went like this "What do you think of that?...do you think we should let that kind of stuff go on? Do you think the radio airwaves belong to everybody? That we have First Amendment rights to be able to say anything we want, when we want, on whatever frequency we want? Because after all this is America and we have freedom of speech? Do you look at it on one extreme that way or do you look at on the other extreme you ought to haul these guys butts off to jail? They're breaking the law big time intentionally even interfering with emergency broadcasts that could save peoples lives. You could actually be endangering peoples lives. It goes one way or another with that. Or do you just want to see the government kick some ass. or do you hate the governments ass? How do you stand on that? Again, I have my feelings....I was brought up.....environment where doing such a thing.....?? Deep fade as the band went long very quickly.

I would have loved to hear the whole thing! Please run this show again if at all possible when the propagation is more amenable!  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 1711 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: UNID 6930.3 AM 1412 UTC 26 May 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 1557 UTC »
SDR recording catch

1336 Carrier on and off a few times over the next few minutes
1403 Carrier on for good, some very weak audio.
1412 OM speaking, very difficult to make out what he is saying.  Did hear a mention of "100 milliwatts".

1415 SSTV:

1419 Off? Seems so.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 1606 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ION Radio

• LLFR!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 1707 UTC »
Thanks for tunning in. That was Stan Gibilisco W1GV,  from YouTube. Yes I'll play again, although short.

73s - IR
QTH- East of everywhere.
ICOM and 40m Dipole
ionradioshortwave@gmail.com

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 1712 UTC »
Thanks for that SSTV decode Chris S! I was able to track down the source of the audio. The call sign belongs to a long time Ham op who has posted numerous Youtube videos of various aspects of amateur and shortwave radio. The mention of a hundred milliwatts was in the link below in regards to a youthful "pirate radio" operation he had in the 1960's utilizing a 100 mw walkie talkie. It is doubtful that he has anything to do with this particular transmission we heard. You can hear the whole thing on the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w12kfkfFzXs

As I was typing this Ion Radio posted just ahead of me! By all means go for it!  :)
Thanks for the show!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 1715 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's