We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Today’s silly sdr question...rtl_power and SDRs  (Read 1807 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
Today’s silly sdr question...rtl_power and SDRs
« on: June 03, 2018, 0217 UTC »
So bear with me...it’s my understanding that you can get a very broadband spectrum from a RTLSDR stick because rtl_power very rapidly samples a 2MHz chunk of spectrum and then moves to the next one and so on to the tune of ~80MHz/s.  Shouldn’t it be possible to do the same thing with a higher end SDR (an Afedri, for example?). I’m surprised i haven’t seen this in any SDR software since it’s very useful for finding sporadic transmissions.....
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Today’s silly sdr question...rtl_power and SDRs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 1142 UTC »
Yes, this can be done with any SDR. Since it is only receiving the SDR's bandwidth worth of the spectrum at a time, you can miss very brief transmissions.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 1802 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Today’s silly sdr question...rtl_power and SDRs
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 1647 UTC »
I got 3.2MHz out of my v3 rtl and 10MHz out of the RSP2, see my reviews here;
http://www.udxf.nl/The-RTL-SDR-V3.pdf
http://www.udxf.nl/SDRPlay_RSP2_SDR.pdf
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.