We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: generating waterfalls from rtl_power?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
generating waterfalls from rtl_power?
« on: June 12, 2018, 1534 UTC »
Hi all.  I'm looking for mac software to generate waterfalls from rtl_power that are more interactive than some of the unix packages.  The rtl_power software instructs a RTL-SDR stick to perform a power scan across a frequency band and log the data in a csv file:
(date, time, Hz low, Hz high, Hz step, samples, dB, dB, dB, ...).  There are several ways to generate a heatmap from this data, but the ones i've gotten to work are all static...that is they generate an image file and you have to estimate the frequency of any 'blips' you see in the data, and you can't subtract out a background scan to account for computer noise and noise from the RTL-SDR itself.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Robert

p.s.  what i'd REALLY like to do eventually is have the RTL-SDR act as a reactive tuner for another SDR....
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns