We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Posting images on the HFU  (Read 715 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Posting images on the HFU
« on: June 14, 2018, 2029 UTC »
Attachments are now disabled. They consume huge amounts of disk space and slow things down.   If you wish to post an image, it's trivial to do so via imgur and other services. They let you post huge images, often without any (reasonable) size limits

For example:

1. Go to https://imgur.com
2. Click the New Post button
3. Paste your image into your browser window
4. Right click on the image URL
5. Paste the image URL into the message you are posting on the HFU, in between IMG tags.
6. You're done!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 2044 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
NRD 545 / netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 670 ft horizontal loop / 500 ft northeast beverage / 270 ft west-south-west beverage / 300 ft south beverage / 43m / 20m / 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop

Offline TheRelayStation

• 6880 Khz AM 50W/500W - shortwavepirate@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Posting images on the HFU
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 2145 UTC »
sorry Chris, any attachments that i did attach, i resized and further compressed to reduce the file size dramatically, i believe the last attachments i had were well under 100Kbytes.
i do completely understand where you are coming from though concerning the use of image attachments using storage space and bandwidth.
perhaps you may want to cross-link this post as a "sticky" for the frequently used discussion threads that use attachments.
6880 Khz AM 50W/500W - shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline KaySeeks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 1844 UTC »
Chris - can you pin this post?
Just somebody with a radio and a pair of headphones...

Offline Teotwaki

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 2038 UTC »
5. Paste the image URL into the message you are posting on the HFU, in between IMG tags.

A long time ago I had to discover this on my own so here it is for those who don't yet know: 

image tags consist of bracketing your image's URL with [/img] at the end of the URL and almost the same tag at the beginning of the URL but without the / character before the img characters between the brackets

(I have to explain it in this convoluted way because if I spell it out completely the forum will try to display an image when there isn't one.)

So if I have an image that is hosted somewhere I can grab its URL such as this nice NDB beacon in Nevada

http://www.auroralchorus.com/ndb/emc375_2.jpg

Then I add the image tags in the proper spots at the beginning and at the end of the url

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 2039 UTC by Teotwaki »
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half