We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Crossed Parallel Loop Update  (Read 1357 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Crossed Parallel Loop Update
« on: July 28, 2018, 1754 UTC »
A brief update on this antenna. For reference, the original build article is here: http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=2340

I finally poured a concrete footing with a piece of pipe in it, as a support for the rotor. Previously I just had the rotor mounted to a piece of plywood sitting on the ground, which as you can imagine was not exactly stable nor free from moving around.

This also led to me finally calibrate the rotor azimuth, using local MW and LW station as references, nulling them out an comparing the bearings to predicted, then adjusting the loop antenna to match. In the process of moving the antenna back and forth, I discovered the rotor controller has a thermal cutout switch!  ;D

Now it is fairly closely calibrated, and I can more quickly null out known stations, and get reasonable estimates of the bearings of MW stations via the null. Switching to one of the beverages usually helps remove the 180 degree ambiguity.

I am impressed with how good the nulls are, usually 20 to 30 dB, sometimes more, on MW stations. The loop works well up into the HF bands, even to 10 meters, although there is no predictable directionality up there as you might expect. The antenna is made of four loops, each is 1 meter on a side, 4 meters total. It is somewhat directional for CHU 3330, but by the 41 meter band it does not seem to be directional at all.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Crossed Parallel Loop Update
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 1937 UTC »
Put a goniometer in it!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crossed Parallel Loop Update
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 2321 UTC »
Sounds great, Chris. 

A small loop without a rotator is like a radio without knobs.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net