We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Icom IC R-75 comms receiver performance...  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Icom IC R-75 comms receiver performance...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 1334 UTC »
Sorry... I'm somewhat skeptical of a bucket of dirt in the shack being even remotely useful as a electrical ground. Maybe you can grow a tomato in it, with enough light?  ;D

Chis, I overwinter serrano peppers that I grow in pots in the backyard indoors under a couple 23 watt CFL's for each. They fruit year round.

Looking-Glass, I used to do some dx'ing at an old family farm you had to hike a good mile plus into to get to the house. The power line to that place went down in a storm in the 80's. There is nothing around it but abandoned farms. The first time I took a portable in that could handle a sizable antenna I was so shocked at the lack of noise I began to wonder if I hadn't damaged the radio on the way in? I tuned to the 40 meter band and found the DX booming in. I was absolutely stunned.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 1719 UTC »
Pig Meat:  Just goes to prove the "filthy energy" they pump out for domestic use eh? 

Yes, I couldn't believe how noise free the band was while the juice was off while I was on the battery powered Tecsun-2000.

Didn't have this problem when I was living in Sydney as the residential power supply was all under ground.  Reduced the noise further by running a bit of extra lead through the window to the copper water pipe on the wall outside, can hear most of the local NDB's now and quite a number of MW stations not previously noted.

Noticed on Saturday the lethal amount of RF generated through HF from the Fisher & Paykel washing machine too, not to mention the crap from the new Samsung "Digital Technology" refridgerator.

Earth bucket will be ideal for those tomatoes now...maybe Truss would be nice eh? ;D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 2147 UTC »
This is reminiscent of a study done by USN on hf rx antenna traits, they determined that a 6ft vertical over a good ground plane (ie a ship) matched to the line was just about all one needed in many cases.

Josh,
Do you recall the name of the study or the source for this ?
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 2212 UTC »
This is reminiscent of a study done by USN on hf rx antenna traits, they determined that a 6ft vertical over a good ground plane (ie a ship) matched to the line was just about all one needed in many cases.

Josh,

Wish I did, I fear it was in one of the myriad 1950s thru 60s qst issues I bought by the box from Ladd Electronics at 41st and Dodge in Omaha during the 90s. I miss that place and the cheap reading! Frank was a great guy. More on topic, it was just a statement that was profound enough for me to memorise it, and it seems to be fairly accurate.

I had that 11m whip up about a wl and it did fantastic from vlf to hf, never tried it above hf. I used a Grove minituner with it for vlf and hf outside 11m. The vlf performance was what amazed me most, but have to mention that part of Nebraska (Omaha) is atop some of the most conduictive soil on the North American continent, so that surely plays a part.

As my hfdf effort gets rolling, I anticipate using some 1/4w cb verticals as the df antennas and will let on how goes it with cb antennas on vlf/hf.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 2045 UTC »

Yes, I couldn't believe how noise free the band was while the juice was off while I was on the battery powered Tecsun-2000.

Noticed on Saturday the lethal amount of RF generated through HF from the Fisher & Paykel washing machine too, not to mention the crap from the new Samsung "Digital Technology" refridgerator.

Just when you think you have solved the noise issues, a new piece of digital garbage shows up …

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 2050 UTC »

Josh,

Wish I did, I fear it was in one of the myriad 1950s thru 60s qst issues I bought by the box from Ladd Electronics at 41st and Dodge in Omaha during the 90s. I miss that place and the cheap reading! Frank was a great guy. More on topic, it was just a statement that was profound enough for me to memorise it, and it seems to be fairly accurate.

Got an ApexRadio vertical here, works amazingly well for basically a 6' piece of wire.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 2137 UTC »
I saw an article in a late 90's QST of a vertical with a capacitive hat mounted on mast in an approx. 10 yd. in circumference, 3 ft. deep tank of salt water by the gang from Newington. It may have been 15 ft. tall if that much. They designed for both transmitting and receiving and the published results showed excellent performance up and down the bands.

I've often wondered if you couldn't do the same with a kiddy pool for listening?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 1752 UTC »
My friend who has the wall of JRC gear swore by slopers and HAM hf band verticals for swl. He used some kind of ground enhancing chemical that didn't kill the grass, and watered it every few days. Being at the time just south of downtown Omaha, he had a gigantic noise floor and fought for every scrap of signal he could get.

On the nutcases from Newington, if they'd replaced that tank of salt water with a similar sized sheet of copper or a pipe I bet they'd have gotten the same sig strength readings. I can see my friends case working irl but not Newingtons.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 1608 UTC »
So far I am very happy with the Icom IC-R75 comms receiver, has nice audio when connected to the Yaesu SP-5 external speaker with filters, especially on MW and SW on AM mode.  Does seem to be a fraction weaker on NDB band though, something 319 report on Icom is around 419 on the FT-2000D to the human ear.

Prefer the Yaesu on CW mode reception though, for some reason, maybe used to the Yaesu more?

Seems to be around an 'S' point to and 'S' point and half down on signal strength with local NDB beacons on LW compared to the FT-2000D, but then again there are a few thousand dollars difference in price between the two radio's. Could be meter calibration too, Yaesu FT-2000D has analogue meter compared to bar graph on IC R-75.

It always happens, when I bought the IC R-75 a friend in Victoria offered me his Yaesu FT-1000MP secondhand for $650.00, he has had it since new and has books and box etc, tells me it has a cracking receiver on the NDB band too...oh well, thems the breaks I guess. Could buy it as a spare set? ;)

Thanks everyone for your hints, tips, pros and cons concerning the R-75, all appreciated and taken on board...now to get rid of that pain of power line noise, that's another story... ::)

Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 2332 UTC »
Josh, I used to love slopers when I was pirating along with the upright "L", a variation on the dipole w/ similar characteristics. 5 minutes up and down, perfect for mobile pirating, and great for listening as they don't pick up nearly as much noise as a standard vertical but they have enough of it's characteristics to pick up low angle signals well before other antennas.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 0451 UTC »
Wich brings up another point related to USN antenna studies, slopers, and so on. Most people I know who use the t2fd used it as a horizontal antenna and they say it sucks. Apparently one needs to slope the t2fd to get the best performance out of it. The t2fd was created at the Naval Research Laboratory far as I know, becoming a fav at shore stations and NSA both.

I'd definitely unload the r75 and get the ft1000 if had the chance. I didn't like the wooly audio of the 1000 I played with for a few minutes, but there are few rigs that can compare to its signal handling abilities and filtering.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 1247 UTC »
Slopers work very well, my 43 meter folded dipole is mounted that way. 

I had a T2FD for many years, it was about 130 ft long, and mounted sloped, which as Josh pointed out is what you want for best performance. Due to the length, it was probably not as sloped as was ideal, but it was still a good performer, especially on the lower bands. As with other loop style antennas (that is, a continuous piece of wire, I'm including folded dipoles in here as well) they often have lower noise than dipoles.

My 20 and 10 meter dipoles are not folded, but noise is often less of an issue (for me anyway) on the higher bands.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree