We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What In The Actual Hell?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
What In The Actual Hell?
« on: September 01, 2018, 1518 UTC »
Hey all....

….perhaps you can help me with something.  I was trying to listen to my AM radio a few minutes ago, but all I hear is hiss and static, on every frequency (including 660...WFAN-AM usually booms in there, being that I'm quite close to NYC).  Was listening yesterday, and the reception was fine.  Wondering what's going on here....?
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What In The Actual Hell?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 1538 UTC »
Matt -

I'm just northeast of you, I have "The FAN" on now (1538z), not as clear as usual but fine. Same with WCBS (880).   WABC (770), WOR (710), and WMCA (570) are almost not audible. WBBR (1130) is very weak.  WTIC (1080) is strong, WICC (600) down your way is usually fine for me but is now inaudible.

1545z Reception seems to have cleared/returned on all stations - a bit odd I'd say
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 1545 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 2004 UTC »
What radio? Antenna disconnected? Zapped by lightning? Cables chewed by catdog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Afdxd6sUQ
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 2117 UTC »
Everything works until it doesn't

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 1044 UTC »
You don't say what radio your using, or what sort of antenna (if any external one). You don't mention if you tried a different radio.

Could be auroral conditions or just crappy ones in your neck of the woods.

A few nights ago they were mediocre here in the PNW. Last night was mediocre also. A Canadian station that usually bombs in (about 180 miles away) was extremely weak for a few hours. It's also north of me.

Perhaps you were experiencing the same sort of conditions.

The last few mornings MW has dropped off quickly instead of sticking through til 9 a.m. as it often does, even in Spring and parts of the Summer.

Tonight the Canadian station in question I mentioned earlier (CKOR 800 Penticton BC) is coming in much better. It's usually one of the barometers for auroral conditions for me -- that one and CKMX 1060 Calgary.

I also listen to CKOR because they play a decent selection of pop music.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 1047 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns