We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Part 95 R/C Data Link Legal "Beacons" 26-27 MHz Frequencies  (Read 3338 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: FCC Part 95 R/C Data Link Legal "Beacons" 26-27 MHz Frequencies
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 1251 UTC »
I'm sure they do.  I know they're on eBay though.

The RadioShack paging system is certainly an example of attended operation only.  From my memory of using one, it only sent a signal when you told it which pager to send a signal to/which page to send and then pressed SEND or PAGE or a button like that.  It wasn't automated.  The XT-1 Transmitter and the WAVE Lightning Alert systems (both of which advertise 10 watt FSK transmitters on 27.255 MHz) seem to have automated operation as part of their capability.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 1329 UTC »
I used to have a Radio Shack car alarm that had a remote on 27.145 MHz. Very neat as you could keep the remote in your bedroom and be notified if someone was messing with your vehicle. It wasn't audible at the car so you could catch them in the act.  😀

JTECH had these restaurant pagers on 27 MHz that lead to all kinds of fun uses:
https://kj4vyi.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/10-meter-beacon/
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 1559 UTC »
Hmmm. 11m fsk. We should run packet on 11m, an hfunderwear packet net where we can bs. Or mebbe ros mode or gtor, there's a stand alone gtor app. Gtor was about the best for hf as far as bfsk modes go, better than pactor and the rest. When you make a gtor contact you should shout "Golay"! (gtor uses Golay encoding) as the bull fighters shout "Ole"!. Also, the voyager spacecraft employs Golay encoding so you know it has to be good. Or mebbe psk10, way hardier than psk31. Iono, but it'd be fun to speriment with some data mode on 11m we could all join in on.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 1650 UTC »
A FSK net on 27.255 MHz would be awesome.  I know the Europeans have area-wide networks on PSK31 (apparently in Germany its legal to use data and connect to the internet on certain CB channels per German law).  Given the large amount of beeps and boops on channel 23, it would be pretty easy to do. 

I also wonder about 27 MHz RC controllers converted to continuous transmit, maybe with a little PC fan and a metal enclosure, hooked up to a dipole antenna - given that those might be covered under Part 15 transmit power, that would be akin to the 22 meter band beacons, but on 11 meters.

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 2117 UTC »
the voyager spacecraft employs Golay encoding so you know it has to be good. Or mebbe psk10, way hardier than psk31. Iono, but it'd be fun to speriment with some data mode on 11m we could all join in on.

https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html
check this out, when voyager is doing a pass, its usually around -153dbm
the x band return  path loss on 8420.432097/8415.000000 MHZ has a path loss around 300 db, and voyager emits less than 20 watts
if they can send 160 baud data to earth from 19 light hours away, with a 300db path loss. I think it really gives me hope for what we can do with weak signals.

and, of course, never underestimate the power of Golay, Reed Solomon, or Viterbi encoding.

sorry about the rant, I have a bit of a soft spot for the voyager probes.
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.