We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: TR on 6926  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
TR on 6926
« on: April 12, 2011, 0054 UTC »
Howdy all,

The transient beacon "TR" that normally shows up around 4060 kHz is currently on 6926.1 kHz.  Been there for the past couple hours and fairly strong.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
Re: TR on 6926
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 0059 UTC »
it is in the northern Moj. Desert - antenna retuned from 4060 to 43m - tnk Token,

ML

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 0431 UTC »
 :D The TR beacon in the Northern Mojave Desert runs occasionally.  The ant. was shortened for 43m beacon signals in March 2011.  It is 100 mW. Inverted-vee.

VFO is jfet osc. to 2n3866 buffer to NTE-295 power amp. NPN -class-C p.a. (?) - forget final amp. exact number - anyway,  it is on 6930 kHz tonight past midnight PDT for Memorial Day transmission.

It can be put in a very FM-ey "AM" mode as well for low-power broadcasting to local desert on hikes.

ML/TR

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 1542 UTC »
I have a recording of that FM-ey AM mode around here someplace, both on 4060'ish and 6926.1.  I think it was up in AM earliier the same evening I made this video of it in CW mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDmTGZBoN8

T!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 1545 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
TR on 6926 and other 43m freqs
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 0618 UTC »
That's a very nice video, Token, you made of reception on April 11th - I had no way of knowing it was getting out so well for about 100 mW.

8) With the recent increase in solar-activity and higher MUF's on HF in the daytime now, it was decided to put this beacon back in the 6.9 MHz region rather than down on 4.0 - 4.1 Mhz region.  It usually runs when I go on trips to DX it from various locations, like nor. CA or other desert locations, etc.  The VFO mode (in an old BC-221 enclosure using that unit's var. cap and switches but with all else gutted) make for the chirp, but that is a fun charcteristic of TR. The ident came from an old Medfer beacon used in the late 80's(!)

Token, looks like you have a very excellent DX set-up in the desert! Your vids on YouTube excellent, as is your receiver - many thanks!

TR will occ. run about 6930 kHz or a tad higher so as to not QRM too badly 6925 USB xmssions.

73 - ML/TR

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns