We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1709.83 mystery: Radio Selva, Argentina? 00:27 UTC 9/24/2018  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
1709.83 mystery: Radio Selva, Argentina? 00:27 UTC 9/24/2018
« on: September 24, 2018, 0048 UTC »
I've been noticing a carrier the last few nights on 1709.83 so I started checking various remotes on the Kiwi network.  My search led me to Argentina where one of the receivers had a station label on 1710 for a "Radio Selva".  Looking closer, the station on the Kiwi remote is right on 1709.83, the same as the carrier I'm seeing here in Michigan on my DKAZ pointed due south.  Such DX from deep South America isn't exactly common here, unless conditions go very auroral, but there are no signs of such conditions elsewhere on the band right now.

Radio Selva's audio stream: https://amselva1710.wixsite.com/envivo

Buenos Aires remote that had the best copy on the station: http://kiwisdr.gastonet.com:8073/

The carrier was pretty strong tonight at local sunset, but fading in and out rapidly.  I was unable to dredge up any audio to confirm it was Selva.

Anyone else seeing or hearing this mystery carrier or know anything about this station?
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: 1709.83 mystery: Radio Selva, Argentina? 00:27 UTC 9/24/2018
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 1038 UTC »
A very interesting catch, and nice sleuthing via the remote SDR settings. I just gave it a try here, but as it is already 1035z I see it is daytime in Argentina already, so too late. I'll give it a try tonight. The Hudson County NJ TIS is dominant here on 1710, but 1709.83 should be far enough removed that I can at least try to spot the carrier. I am able to mostly null out Hudson with the Crossed Parallel Loop, but then I get one of the other 1710 TIS stations. Which reminds me, I need to finish manually processing the federal TIS station list I got via the FOIA request.

FWIW, We had pretty good propagation from that region last night on 43 meters, the UNID pirate (presumably from Argentina also) was coming in quite well at times, I added a recording to the thread: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,46222.msg168761.html#msg168761
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 1937 UTC »
This is the time of year when the ambc band goes bonkers and weird stuff like this is commonplace, but short lived. You should expect weirdness an hour before and after local sunset.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 2201 UTC »
This is the time of year when the ambc band goes bonkers and weird stuff like this is commonplace, but short lived. You should expect weirdness an hour before and after local sunset.

Yep. It plays Hell on sat. uplinks and downlinks radio and TV station use for their programming, too. It was the annual weekend of disappearing football games. It should be gone in the coming weeks.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 0007 UTC »
It was suggested on another list that this could be a pirate.  I'm hoping Daniel Wyllyans sees this and can provide some more insight. The station also have a FB page here:  https://www.facebook.com/amselva1710/

The carrier is starting to fade in again right now as I type this.

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns