We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WSPR as a proxy for propagation  (Read 3881 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
WSPR as a proxy for propagation
« on: October 01, 2018, 2034 UTC »
I've finally gotten around to playing with WSPR. i've been transmitting on the 40m frequency for a few minutes now, looking at reports of my transmissions.

Here's a plot of where my station is being heard, circa 2000z:

This looks very reasonable for NVIS reception. I am transmitting 5 watts. Of course WSPR is an excellent low signal level mode, so it would not be likely that a USB or AM transmission would be heard over this entire area, but the general range is as expected.

Quick summary of WSPR: Stations transmit during two minute slots, skipping now and then, and each station is [usually] on a slightly different frequency. Receiving stations decode transmissions and find as many as they can, and send this data to a website, where it is plotted. In addition to transmitting, you can look at the map and list of reports to see who is being heard where. As always, you are somewhat limited by how many stations are actually listening, and where they are located.  It's a great way to observe real time propagation on the various ham bands.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: WSPR as a proxy for propagation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 2143 UTC »
And now at 2130z even better range, reaching into Europe which is expected, since Europirates are audible now. Australia seems quite likely, since the weather station on 6230 USB is audible this time of the evening.

This is the URL for the map: http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map

And the database of recent reports: http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/spots

The report database contains SNR information for each report. This could be useful for estimating and tracking propagation conditions.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 2216 UTC »
To what do you attribute the report of being heard by the daytime path in Australia? If that's accurate and VK7KPC really copied you, it would seem to me that long path was more likely.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 2225 UTC »
To what do you attribute the report of being heard by the daytime path in Australia? If that's accurate and VK7KPC really copied you, it would seem to me that long path was more likely.

I agree. I don't believe it was daylight, their website just plots the short path always  ;D

I suspect it was actually a greyline condition.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 2257 UTC »
Yes, that would have been long-path for sure.

Psk Reporter is another similar site for various other modes (PSK32, etc...).    https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 2306 UTC »
When (or is that if?) my KiwiSDR arrives, I will may set it up to check WSPR channels and upload spots.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD