We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MassDrop has the KiwiSDR for $80 off again  (Read 1383 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
MassDrop has the KiwiSDR for $80 off again
« on: October 07, 2018, 1436 UTC »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seeed-kiwisdr-kit

Mine arrived on Friday (after 2 months, hopefully this one is not as delayed)

Here is the URL for mine, which is connected to my famous 670 ft sky loop antenna: http://sdr.hfunderpants.com:8073

Some general notes about the KiwiSDR:

The "kit" from MassDrop is a not something you build, kit means it is the KiwiSDR board plus the BeagleBone CPU board. It comes with all the software installed, you just need to connect your antenna and provide a 5V DC power supply. I used one from a USB hub, a linear supply is best, I will likely change mine out for one, but I am pleasantly surprised that this switching supply does not cause any obvious RFI.

The antenna jack is SMA, so you will want an SMA to UHF/F/BNC/whatever adapter to connect your HF antenna.

You probably want to buy a metal enclosure for it, a cardboard enclosure comes with it (I guess to save money): https://www.seeedstudio.com/KiwiSDR-Enclosure-p-3012.html

It comes with an inexpensive GPS antenna, GPS is used as a frequency reference. As per a tip from Token, it works better if placed over a metal surface. I used a pie tin  ;D

The KiwiSDR works as a web server. You need to connect it to your router via an ethernet cable. This means you do not need to install any special software or drivers on your computer, you use a web browser. And it works well with a tablet also.  If you want to make it public, you will need to open up a port on your router and configure settings, there is documentation on their site for doing this.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 1909 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: MassDrop has the KiwiSDR for $80 off again
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 0010 UTC »
Does this unit come with a velvet vernier tuning knob?

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: MassDrop has the KiwiSDR for $80 off again
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 1434 UTC »
I ordered a unit. Expected delivery is in November. I was unaware of the special power supply requirement, figured it came with one. For linear 5vdc it looks like the options are what they suggest on their quick start page. However, I also found this USA made 5VDC 1.5A supply:

https://www.acopian.com/store/productdetail.aspx?q=i573

Quite expensive at $150, however, they can be found used/near-new on eBay for significantly less. Search for "Acopian 5EB150" (1.5A version) or "Acopian 5EB200" (2.0A version).

I snagged a 5EB200 advertised as brand new, for $33 shipped (I did have $9 of eBay bucks I applied). These appear to be industrial quality units, and a little cheaper than buying one of the audiophile supplies from China via eBay (probably a lot less of a wait, too). 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 1457 UTC by Beerus Maximus »
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts