We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CB emergency channel 9 27065 AM 21:30 UTC  (Read 2698 times)

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
CB emergency channel 9 27065 AM 21:30 UTC
« on: October 09, 2018, 2131 UTC »
On the Highland Falls SDR, i am hearing Spanish talk and just heard what sounds like a roger beep. So i was wondering, why the spanish speaking people are using Channel 9?
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: CB emergency channel 9 27065 AM 21:30 UTC
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 0101 UTC »
Dunno?

When I was a kid I was convinced if I talked on Channel 9 for non-emergency matters, the FCC and the State cops would bust down the door in under five minutes? It was widely believed by older CB'ers in that period "Uncle Charlie" lurked around every bend in the road waiting to nab you for the slightest infraction.

Nixon freezing the speed limit at 55 mph sent sales of CB's to people looking to get around the speed limit through the roof and regs out the window. The FCC threw in the towel after a couple of years of pure chaos. It was fun while it lasted, but I don't miss the bumps in sales and the idiots on the air every time a shoot 'em up truck driving movie hit the drive-ins?

I've often wondered if the FCC didn't try to develop a powder to make Burt Reynolds mustache fall out? The beard powder the CIA developed for Fidel might have worked on a limited area like Burt's 'stash? Might as well get Jerry Reed's muttonchops with it, too.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 1221 UTC »
On the Highland Falls SDR, i am hearing Spanish talk and just heard what sounds like a roger beep. So i was wondering, why the spanish speaking people are using Channel 9?

27065 or CB channel 9 is actually listed as one of the calling frequencies on a Latin American CB/11 meter club website I found...along with 26555 LSB, 26705 AM, 26715 AM and 27455 USB.  I often hear Spanish voices on 27.065 MHz when the band is open.  I mean, its convenient, just flip the channel 9/19 switch to 9! 

Back before the state troopers upgraded their 1970s vintage VHF high band analog system to a VHF high band Project 25 digital trunking system their standard in-car radio equipment included a Uniden 520XL (or was it a 510XL ?) CB radio for monitoring channels 9 and 19.  Not anymore.  I know that the motorist assistance guys have CBs in their trucks but that's just for listening to channel 19 as well...rural sheriff's departments are known to keep CB equipment in their vehicles but its no longer a standardized statewide thing. I don't think REACT really takes anything heard on 9 seriously anymore (do they even monitor CB anymore?). 

You'd have better luck getting help by calling on channel 19 nowadays anyway.. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 1223 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 1854 UTC »

27065 or CB channel 9 is actually listed as one of the calling frequencies on a Latin American CB/11 meter club website I found...along with 26555 LSB, 26705 AM, 26715 AM and 27455 USB.  I often hear Spanish voices on 27.065 MHz when the band is open.  I mean, its convenient, just flip the channel 9/19 switch to 9! 

Back before the state troopers upgraded their 1970s vintage VHF high band analog system to a VHF high band Project 25 digital trunking system their standard in-car radio equipment included a Uniden 520XL (or was it a 510XL ?) CB radio for monitoring channels 9 and 19.  Not anymore.  I know that the motorist assistance guys have CBs in their trucks but that's just for listening to channel 19 as well...rural sheriff's departments are known to keep CB equipment in their vehicles but its no longer a standardized statewide thing. I don't think REACT really takes anything heard on 9 seriously anymore (do they even monitor CB anymore?). 

You'd have better luck getting help by calling on channel 19 nowadays anyway..

Good to know! Thanks for the info!
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 1540 UTC »
Absolutely.  During the 2011-2014 or so time frame, I got really into 11 meter and VHF low band DXing because the band was rolling on a regular basis back then...since so much of the traffic I heard was Spanish, I did some research and came across a significant amount of Latin American CB or 11 meter radio clubs (some of which even include the female taxi cab dispatchers sitting behind a RCI-2995 somewhere in Mexico).  Several of these clubs list 27065 as the "in-band" Spanish speaker AM calling frequency.

I remember when I could hear the same taxi lady on 27.515 MHz AM reading telephone numbers, call numbers and addresses on a nearly daily basis.  When the band was really open I could hear the taxi drivers responding to her on the same frequency...tuning lower in frequency I realized that the majority of taxi companies using 11 meters were using the lower frequencies in the 25.615 MHz to 26.055 MHz "A" band and the 26.055 MHz to 26.505 MHz "B" band to avoid the massive amounts of QRM on the higher frequencies.  The YL on 27515 AM must be running power with a good antenna, because 27.515 MHz is also the Caribbean SSB DX calling frequency in LSB mode.  Lots of powerful Jamaican stations (anyone remember The Knight Patrol?) booming in on 27515 LSB while she read number after number in Spanish in AM mode right underneath the Jamaican guys.

These taxi companies were found all over the band during a serious opening.  They'd be using the A channels (I heard a very strong one using 27.045 MHz AM, which is channel 7A or even frequencies closer to 28 MHz.  27.995 MHz AM was even logged once.  Anything to get a clear frequency.  Mexican truckers could be heard well into 10 meters during those types of openings, 28055, 28065, 28085, 28105 and lots of others were popular, all in AM mode. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 1542 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m