We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Russia’s first Krasukha-4 electronic warfare unit lands in Syria.  (Read 5810 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Russia’s first Krasukha-4 electronic warfare unit lands in Syria.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 1850 UTC »

There are a couple of definitions for ICOM, but in this case I think you mean the acronym for Integrated COMmunications.

I intentionally left the Security (un said SEC) off of my repsonse because I have seen it used both ways, with and without implied SEC.  Yeah, I understand (or think I do, anyway) the inclusion of Security is how the Acronym was origianlly derived.

It varies a bit from community to community, but I have seen ICOM (implied but not said SEC) used when discussing either own gear or OPFOR and integrated security (encryption).  And I have seen ICOM (without the SEC, so just Intergrated Communicaitons) when discussing OPFOR that has no encryption.  Example, monitoring in the clear transmissions using something like an AOR.

T!

Interesting, I guess I always "read" it as having the "SEC" included but in many cases that was an assumption based on the context...although as stated, a lot of comms are in the clear using good old VHF/UHF gear that's available as COTS equipment.

From Luhansk to Idlib, HAM radio gear in conflict short of war is alive and well. There's a vid somewhere on innernets of the kurds listening via HAM radios to isis commanders bitch about not getting their fair share of lamb when the other isis asshat got his, Afghan soldiers taunting isis asshats over the air, Ukrainians and NovoRossians taunting each other via v/uhf, etc etc.

Thank god for China and the barfing dual band hand helds!
https://baofengtech.com/uv-5r

Dunno if this applies to the barfing rigs, but the one I had, canna remember the brand, had a over the air lock out feature, if the radio received the code it was locked out and shut down or something like that. Inscrutable, those Chinese.

Plenty of pictures of Ukrainian military, militia and Russian "little green men" with UV-5Rs, UV-82s and other similar Chinese VHF/UHF HTs as their inter-squad and intra-squad radios.  One of the articles I've read about Russian signals intelligence activities in Ukraine involved transcripts of chatter between Ukrainian militias on 145.xxxx MHz frequencies.  I know that, like the Japanese radios they're cloning to various degrees, some of the Chinese VHF/UHF gear has "remote stun" and "remote disable/enable" capability included as part of the various selective calling (DTMF, CTCSS, DCS) capability of those radios.  I can't say for sure about the UV-5R in particular, however. 

Integrated communications security using $30 Chinese VHF/UHF handhelds?  The best you'll get is maybe voice inversion.  Makes me wonder if there are militia commanders in Ukraine ordering a pallet of Baofengs and programming all of them up with the same channel plan or just leaving each unit to their own devices. 

The AOR receivers are military-grade radios apparently, especially compared to the bowww-fengz  - which are surprisingly tough little radios. I have used the UV-5R extensively for backpacking, hiking, driving two cars across Europe (no seriously, using the PMR446 UHF license free frequencies) and FRS/MURS and even Part 90 land mobile work and they're good little radios.  They don't have the intermod rejection capability of a Motorola but for the price you can't go wrong....and if you're fighting the Russians on a budget I have a feeling they fit the bill quite well.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2018, 1931 UTC »
Right after the seizing of the Crimea. Sounds like tough talk in state media by a tinhorn dictator of a shitheel country with no real options? Dollars to donuts the only Russian missiles in Cuba are some surface to air units Gorby forgot on his way out the door.

If he can't whip the much smaller Ukraine in years of trying, what kind of threat is Putin? Tell him to go sit with Maduro and Kim at the "little man, big mouth, no action" table where he belongs, the damned piss-ant!

I'm reminded of Mussolini’s attempt to invade Greece. That didn't go so well.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2018, 2009 UTC »
I agree totally with Chris... China is the one to worry about and they have "units" all over Russia.  Hell Russia is so paranoid they complained about imported Tea Pots from China saying they have a 'strange chip' inside of them...  Pure propaganda BS from the midget.

Can anyone say Neutron bomb ?  Illegal?  Not during war my friend. :-)

Like Hitler said; 'if you tell a lie big enough and often enough, it will be believed'.

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2018, 2258 UTC »
Where have you been, my helmeted friend?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 1859 UTC »
Right after the seizing of the Crimea. Sounds like tough talk in state media by a tinhorn dictator of a shitheel country with no real options? Dollars to donuts the only Russian missiles in Cuba are some surface to air units Gorby forgot on his way out the door.

If he can't whip the much smaller Ukraine in years of trying, what kind of threat is Putin? Tell him to go sit with Maduro and Kim at the "little man, big mouth, no action" table where he belongs, the damned piss-ant!

I'm reminded of Mussolini’s attempt to invade Greece. That didn't go so well.

Russia would roll through Ukraine like they did through Hungary in 56. A more recent example is what they did to Georgia during the 0bama regime. All Vlad is doing right now is building intel and resources near the ao and making sure there's enough contractors and conscripts in Luhansk to keep the Ukrainian regime out. If an outsider with 1st world military technology got involved immediately the Russians could be stopped, but I don't suppose that's in the works. But who knows what kind of shitshow the lunatics and psychopaths who find their way to power have planned for us.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 1900 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.