We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Any interest in a 40m SSTV net?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Any interest in a 40m SSTV net?
« on: November 10, 2018, 1526 UTC »
I'm getting back into ham radio, and have been on 40 meters lately. I know we have some other ham here, and am curious if there's any interest in a semi regular SSTV net?  If so reply here and we can work out some times to try, or get in touch with me on the HFU RocketChat: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,41066.0.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Any interest in a 40m SSTV net?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 0040 UTC »
       Heck, it's a push just to get folks to do 40M AM on 7290kHz. I suppose that I do have a rig that's already made for SSTV, an Icom IC-7000. The only rig that I have really set-up now is a Kenwood TS-2000X for voice on AM, SSB, and occasional 10M and above FM. Where on 40M is everyone doing SSTV? BTW, I do heard SSTV also on 160M around 1840kHz. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 1912 UTC »
Get on 7173 in the am, you'll hear Norm, Gerry, and some others who have kept the torch of sstv lit. You'll need easypal plus whatever your choice in analog sstv decoders as sometimes they mess with analog. It's mostly digital anymore on 40m, and they most often use hybrid mode, a mode where instead of sending the picture over the air, you send a link to the pic that is hosted on innernets in some server, the sstv version of echolink. You get perfect picture every time this way but I hardly rate it as HAM radio.

On using your rig for sstv, make sure you reduce power or use an amp, or that the rig is rated for 100 percent duty cycle. My 706 desoldered some smt inductors by itself during sstv work, and even then I had the power reduced as you don't want any alc action or compression. As I recall, easypal is based on DRM wich in turn is based on STANAG 4285.

http://easypal.org/
https://www.qsl.net/kb4yz/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 1917 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 1950 UTC »
I'm more interested in good old analog SSTV, good old Scottie and Robot modes. A few of us have been active now and then on 7260 LSB which is in the general portion of the band. 

I have as much interest in easypal as DRM in general. That is, zero  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 2309 UTC »
I'd be interested, once I have my general (and a good HF tx antenna). So, probably January in my case.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns