We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Tirana's former network in the Enver era.  (Read 1269 times)

Offline zerodivide

• View Profile
Radio Tirana's former network in the Enver era.
« on: November 10, 2018, 2246 UTC »
I my county in the Enver Hoxha Era the Domestic network of Radio Tirana was the following:
Tirana: 99.5 MHz . Was mono and used simple telephone line for modulation. (Started in 1980 to feed the transmitters of Kukes, Korca, Gjirokastra, Shkodra and Saranda. Penetration of FM capable receivers was very low, the main purpuse of 99.5 was the feeding MW transmitters)
Shijak: 1089 kHz
Fllaka: 1458 kHz
Kukes: 648 kHz
Korca: 1260 kHz
Gjirokastra: 909 kHz
Shkodra: 693 kHz
Saranda: 864 kHz
They was switched off in 2002 due financional reasons.

The external MW broadcasts was on 1214 and 1395 kHz. Russian, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, English, etc...
Often switched off the power in nearby vilages, to have enough power to the transmitters! My country was suffered from power outages. in the 80's!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Tirana's former network in the Enver era.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 2310 UTC »
Fascinating information zerodivide! I was a very active shortwave listener in the 1980's and in addition to the nightly Radio Tirana broadcasts (mostly quite boring!), there was Radio Gjirokaster on 5057 Khz that could be heard quite well here! They played some really wild folk music we referred to as "Gypsy" music. It was like night and day compared to the broadcasts from Tirana, who would often spend much of the broadcast endless speaking the praises of Enver Hoxha.....I guess it ended up badly for him at the end.....
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 0051 UTC »
Radio Tirana (external service) was one of the stations from which my DX-hobby started. I still remember that programs on SW and MW which were being opened with the strident "With Pickaxe and Rifle" interval signal and closed with The Internationale.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 0058 UTC by ulx2 »
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Offline zerodivide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 1913 UTC »
Let me some correction:
1458 was in use until 2017. It broadcasted Radio Tirana's Greek, Serbian, German and Albanian programs. This was a faulty TX, when it was on air, the band was full with "scratches" from 1458's Audio from 1500 to 1600 kHz.

1395 khz was hired by TWR until 2017.
1214 was closed probably in 2012. As I remember, the Russian programs was broadcasted here.
From 2004 to 2009 CRI was also heard on 1214 and 1458 kHz.

Yes R. Tirana was very funny, but for us it was the reality, If you laughed loud, the police arrested you... Russian Imperialists, USA controlled the USSR, Honecker is a drunk monkey, and other funny things was on air. They couldn't decide, who was the main enemy :)

Almost the same things can you hear/see now on the Hungarian M1 Tv's English news on Eutelsat 9B satellite, where is George Soros, Bruxelles and Immigrants are the enemies, imagine this 10x harder and all day on the radio.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns