We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FRN Founder John Cruzan & Family Safe and Unharmed!  (Read 6711 times)

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
FRN Founder John Cruzan & Family Safe and Unharmed!
« on: May 24, 2011, 0858 UTC »
This seemed worthy of reposting in its own thread so it is easily found. Thanks to Cosmic for passing it on, and to Kracker for his effort to establish contact with Cruzan:

via Cosmik via Kracker via Facebook with this message:    "We are fine, no damage at all, My parents home was leveled but they were not hurt, we are busy trying to dig out their stuff for now, thanks for thinking of Us!"~ John Cruzan   May 23 at 10:22pm

I for one am very happy to know that Cruzan and family are unharmed!  While I haven't had the pleasure of knowing him personally, his influence and unselfish contributions to pirate radio (as founder of the FRN and owner of its server) over many years are indisputable.

tcsshortwave covers it all here:

http://tcsshortwave.blogspot.com/2011/05/frn-knocked-offline-by-joplin-tornado.html
(And, since John and family are now known to be safe and well, it no longer seems necessary to withhold my own opinions on a related matter.)

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline PiratePoptart

• 3nd Turntable to the left.
  • Me Checking Hf conditions!
    • View Profile
    • WDCV HOMEPAGE
    • Email
Re: FRN Founder John Cruzan & Family Safe and Unharmed!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 1028 UTC »
This seemed worthy of reposting in its own thread so it is easily found. Thanks to Cosmic for passing it on, and to Kracker for his effort to establish contact with Cruzan:

via Cosmik via Kracker via Facebook with this message:    "We are fine, no damage at all, My parents home was leveled but they were not hurt, we are busy trying to dig out their stuff for now, thanks for thinking of Us!"~ John Cruzan   May 23 at 10:22pm

I for one am very happy to know that Cruzan and family are unharmed!  While I haven't had the pleasure of knowing him personally, his influence and unselfish contributions to pirate radio (as founder of the FRN and owner of its server) over many years are indisputable.

tcsshortwave covers it all here:

http://tcsshortwave.blogspot.com/2011/05/frn-knocked-offline-by-joplin-tornado.html
(And, since John and family are now known to be safe and well, it no longer seems necessary to withhold my own opinions on a related matter.)

I read what was one TCS site....
Look Why do we have to worry about what another person said?
Can't we Forget about Commander Bunny right now and worrie about Joplin,MO?
If you live'd there would you want people Causing un-need'd drama or geting off there computer's and doing what every they can to help?
I think it's time everyone Put on there Big Boy pants and Step up to the plate and help these many people that have Lost ALL they have or ever had to this Devastation!
It really makes me kinda pissed off when people are buried under homes and rubble.. People homeless and ya guy's are pointing fingers and bad mouthing othere people.
What Has Commander Bunny said about you?
Well enought of my talk...
Catch ya later...
From The WDCV Studios
Pirate Poptart
A.K.A Dj Poptart
88.1wdcv@gmail.com

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 1116 UTC »
(
If you live'd there would you want people Causing un-need'd drama or geting off there computer's and doing what every they can to help?
I think it's time everyone Put on there Big Boy pants and Step up to the plate and help these many people that have Lost ALL they have or ever had to this Devastation!
It really makes me kinda pissed off when people are buried under homes and rubble.. People homeless and ya guy's are pointing fingers and bad mouthing othere people.
Catch ya later...
Considering that you came here from the Furrey Radio Network site and have only been on here for a few days and have already tossed around words like "monkey boy" and "big boy pants" don't you think it may be wise to read more and post opinions less? Most of us put on our big boy pants and came here so we would not have to deal with Peter Cottontail and his various aliases. This is a nice site, leave the furrey stuff on the furrey site. Johns been here longer then us; he gets to post what he wants.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 1159 UTC »
Don't mind Dj.  What he says makes it totally obvious that he is completely ignorant of the facts of the situation.

And, since he's already noted that he's getting his information from Commander Bunny, well-- that's a fairly revisionist source.

Dj, here's some suggested reading for you:
http://www.alfalima.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10597
I urge you to read that entire thread... it'll give you more of an education on your pal
'Commander Bunny'

http://whisperinyourfear.blogspot.com
This is a more humorous treatment, quite miraculous that such things can be made to seem funny...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 1207 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 1259 UTC »
Looks as though only alfa lima Registered users will see that link, John; in case folks seem perplexed.

I'm waiting on my registration to view it but the history of the Cmdr's hijinks probably won't shock me :)

Thanks for the link, the history and perspective of pirate spats and past opportunistic behaviors of the usual big-fish-in-small-ponds never ceases to amaze me.

Cheesing off the whole of the European pirate community sounds like the lack of forward-thinking behavior we've all become weary of.

Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline PiratePoptart

• View Profile
    • WDCV HOMEPAGE
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 2003 UTC »
(
Catch ya later...
Considering that you came here from the Furrey Radio Network site and have only been on here for a few days and have already tossed around words like "monkey boy" and "big boy pants" don't you think it may be wise to read more and post opinions less? Most of us put on our big boy pants and came here so we would not have to deal with Peter Cottontail and his various aliases. This is a nice site, leave the furrey stuff on the furrey site. Johns been here longer then us; he gets to post what he wants.
I have used monkey boy for a wile! 1st time i used it when i heard a WBNY show like 3 years ago and it has bacome a part of my everyday vocabulary. What this is about is that there is a whole town level'd and where pulling this $***. Can we all just focus on the City og Joplin,Mo? I wasn't Dissing what he posted if that's how you took it i was just saying we need to help Joplin.How many of your shows have been heard? how long have you been in the hobbie?
Well yeah. im done with this topic.
Hop ya'll have a good day.
From The WDCV Studios
Pirate Poptart
A.K.A Dj Poptart
88.1wdcv@gmail.com

Offline PiratePoptart

• View Profile
    • WDCV HOMEPAGE
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 2007 UTC »
Don't mind Dj.  What he says makes it totally obvious that he is completely ignorant of the facts of the situation.

And, since he's already noted that he's getting his information from Commander Bunny, well-- that's a fairly revisionist source.

Dj, here's some suggested reading for you:
http://www.alfalima.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10597
I urge you to read that entire thread... it'll give you more of an education on your pal
'Commander Bunny'
Im Ignorant ? What are the facts if you know them so well?

http://whisperinyourfear.blogspot.com
This is a more humorous treatment, quite miraculous that such things can be made to seem funny...

Im Ignorant ? What are the facts if you know them so well? And yeah i can't see the thread and im not giving out my eail to anymore pointless sites.
I have seen  "http://whisperinyourfear.blogspot.com"... i think it's just a waste on internet space.
 Well anywho I am done with this.
From The WDCV Studios
Pirate Poptart
A.K.A Dj Poptart
88.1wdcv@gmail.com

Offline gristle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 0008 UTC »
(
Catch ya later...
I have used monkey boy for a wile! 1st time i used it when i heard a WBNY show like 3 years ago and it has bacome a part of my everyday vocabulary. What this is about is that there is a whole town level'd and where pulling this $***. Can we all just focus on the City og Joplin,Mo? I wasn't Dissing what he posted if that's how you took it i was just saying we need to help Joplin.How many of your shows have been heard? how long have you been in the hobbie?
Well yeah. im done with this topic.
Hop ya'll have a good day.

Poptart, just relax. Your attitude will get you nowhere fast. I would not even start with the whole "How long have you been in the hobbie" or "how many of your shows have been heard" if I were you. I will guarantee you most every one on this board has been in the Hobby longer than you and perhaps even longer than you have been on this earth.

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 0034 UTC »
anymore pointless sites.

Poptart, Alfa lima is far from a pointless site.  It is the premier site for European pirate radio.  And if you are not aware, the European scene is at least 10-20 times larger than the US (one listener has over 600 QSLs from different stations ... yes ... actual different pirate broadcasters).

It is also a perfect example of how pirate radio can thrive and grow, and the kind of behaviour that encourages this.  Read and learn.

It has recently been taken over by John of Orion Radio Nederland, who has run the Dutch amforum for many years, and is a genuinely nice guy.

Cheers, Terry

Offline Zane

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • hearing the negative waves
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 0301 UTC »
Per the original post - I am delighted that John and his family are OK.

The European scene is at least 10-20 times larger than the US .....It is also a perfect example of how pirate radio can thrive and grow.
It has recently been taken over by John of Orion Radio Nederland, who has run the Dutch amforum for many years, and is a genuinely nice guy.

Cheers, Terry

Well said Terry. Whenever I've been involved with the Europirate folks, they've been extremely friendly and welcoming to new participants. I'm sure things aren't perfect, but they don't seem to have the same issues we do here. I imagine they find much of what goes on with the FRN pretty confusing.

Hijack off  ;)

Z

Chicagoland
Palstar R30CC / Sherwood SE-3 MK IV / pa0rdt Mini-Whip / Gone Long Engineering remote resonant loop / Fansome approved

QSL to zaneradio@comcast.net

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 0053 UTC »
Well said Terry. Whenever I've been involved with the Europirate folks, they've been extremely friendly and welcoming to new participants. I'm sure things aren't perfect, but they don't seem to have the same issues we do here. I imagine they find much of what goes on with the FRN pretty confusing.

Indeed, things aren't perfect.  But the Europeans learned a very valuable lesson way back in 1966, when the owner of Radio Caroline shot and killed the owner of Radio City during a dispute over payment for a transmitter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Calvert).  Up to this point, the pirates had the overwhelming support of the people, with millions of listeners.

(It is a frequently repeated story that the Prime Minister of the time called his Home Secretary and asked "What are you doing about the pirates?" ... to which the HS replied "I am listening to them".)

This one incident was sufficient excuse for the government to pass the necessary laws to eliminate the pirate stations.

Since that day, pirates in Europe have made an effort to behave in a way that will not reflect badly on everyone.  It seems to be instinctive.

So ... what they learned is that if the shit ever hits the public fan, everyone gets splattered.  Not that the mainstream media would ever pay attention to pirate radio today, but some weird and wacky sh*t goes viral on the net these days.  Something to think about.

As for what Europeans think of all this, I will quote British pirate icon Andy Richards (from the alfalima post mentioned by Poet above):

"I don't wish to sound "Funny" or "Disrespectful", but isn't this a load of SHIT?

What is the matter with you guys Stateside?

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR CHRISSAKES!!"

Cheers, Terry

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 1042 UTC »
Fortunately most US pirates understand this is a hobby, and the point is to have fun. There's really only one clique that is causing 99 44/100% of the problems. Ignore them, and the problem will eventually go away. For all their huffing and puffing, they're simply not that important.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree