We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the air...  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the air...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 0724 UTC »
More paranoia, they wont be tracking you lot however.

Please don't think they will, they've got bigger fish to fry.

Amongst other things....

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 1556 UTC »
It seems to be about seafaring pirates using CB and satellite phones, although obviously radio signals are radio signals and there are plenty of terrestrial scofflaws using them. So with that in mind I have a question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would work only with FM band pirates, right? Because SW and MW signals refract off of the F or F2 layer, or are absorbed by the D layer depending on frequency and time of day, while only VHF passes through the ionosphere. (Though in these times of solar minimum, the lower limit of what passes through is probably well into the HF range - the article specifically mentions CB used by seafaring pirates).

I would wonder about the power levels used by FM pirates as well, although line of sight is line of sight.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 1722 UTC »
They wont waste there time with any commercial stuff at all, it's for military use and they'll just say it's able to track anything to scare the paranoid types.

Even had someone on here worried about buying a Xtal (on a non ham freq) as he thought he'd be tracked, Jeez.

They don't spend billions developing this stuff to catch liddle ol' you and me.

If they wanted to they could do by far simpler means and they cant be bothered as it's not worth the effort.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 2322 UTC »
It has the potential for private entity's such as NAB or NYBA to buy time on the birds to police problem areas ie New York or Miami. The 3 letter agency's have had this capability since the 80's It's a possible tool against the 100w ERP+ FM and AM pirates making Uncle Charlies job a bit easier.  Do I think it will affect 43m band activity.. No the HF Traders are doing that for us with spread spectrum data blocks. 

tAC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com