We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1090 WBAL Baltimore MD  (Read 1493 times)

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
1090 WBAL Baltimore MD
« on: December 13, 2018, 1334 UTC »
Finally logged what should be an easy catch here in Michigan.  However, have local WCAR on same freq.
This morning was able to nicely null the local with the loop and catch the WX " 39 degrees" and multiple IDs
(love it when an AM station IDs a lot) including the TOH "WBAL News Radio 10-90" @ 0800 EST which was about 10 minutes
after local sunrise.  Was probably helped by the facts that the local apparently had reduced power to its
daytime level and the daytime pattern of WBAL is more favorable to my direction than their nighttime
pattern.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 1336 UTC by pinto vortando »
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: 1090 WBAL Baltimore MD
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 2308 UTC »
I'm a heck of a lot closer to them than you are and it's always so-so here after dark. My guess is they change antenna patterns/drop power after dusk? The East Coast between Richmond and Boston is so densely populated, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

We'd probably have an easier time hearing them in Bermuda and the Bahamas.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 1400 UTC »
I'm a heck of a lot closer to them than you are and it's always so-so here after dark. My guess is they change antenna patterns/drop power after dusk? The East Coast between Richmond and Boston is so densely populated, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

We'd probably have an easier time hearing them in Bermuda and the Bahamas.

They are 50 KW day and night.  Daytime antenna pattern is nondirectional but their nighttime antenna pattern has the main lobe directed east...
perhaps to protect KAAY Little Rock AR also on 1090.
As you suspect, they send a lot of signal towards the ocean... probably sounds like a "local" in Bermuda.  :)
("local" in quotation marks because IIRC Bermuda has gone to all FM.)

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 1743 UTC »
Finally logged what should be an easy catch here in Michigan.  However, have local WCAR on same freq.
This morning was able to nicely null the local with the loop and catch the WX " 39 degrees" and multiple IDs
(love it when an AM station IDs a lot) including the TOH "WBAL News Radio 10-90" @ 0800 EST which was about 10 minutes
after local sunrise.  Was probably helped by the facts that the local apparently had reduced power to its
daytime level and the daytime pattern of WBAL is more favorable to my direction than their nighttime
pattern.

Can frequently hear that station well from southwestern CT, although it competes with WTAM 1100 out of Cleveland....and occasionally, WTIC-AM on 1080 out of Hartford. 
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 1318 UTC »

Can frequently hear that station well from southwestern CT, although it competes with WTAM 1100 out of Cleveland....and occasionally, WTIC-AM on 1080 out of Hartford.

Matt,
Amazing that you can hear the 1090 station at all as the other two stations are apparently running IBOC.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns