We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Strange signal on the 40 meter band at 7035.50 kHz  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Strange signal on the 40 meter band at 7035.50 kHz
« on: December 15, 2018, 1900 UTC »
I was transmitting Digital SSTV on the 40 meter band this morning when I spotted this strange signal in the waterfall. I'm not sure if I was tuned to the proper frequency or not, and I tried both USB and LSB. I suspect that this is likely someone doing a radio test of some kind. Tuned via the Web SDR located in Newport, Oregon, USA.

Video of the signal here.

I've been on the air for about three hours this morning, on 40 meters, and I only noticed the signal pop up about two hours ago. It only transmitted twice, both times for about 5-7 minutes. At first, I thought it was someone else (like me) transmitting waterfall images via digital SSTV.

I've been monitoring this frequency since I recorded the video and it has repeated a few times. In fact, it is transmitting again as I type this.

Any ideas as to what it may be? I'm using this Web SDR if you want to check it out yourself: http://kiwisdr.smeter.net:8073

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Strange signal on the 40 meter band at 7035.50 kHz
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 0100 UTC »
Reminds me of stuff I've seen haarp do.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 0224 UTC »
Reminds me of stuff I've seen haarp do.

Yes, that the signal is HAARP-like is exactly what I thought when I first saw it in the waterfall.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 2355 UTC »
Without being on site of the remote, cannot rule out local RFI?
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 0023 UTC »
Without being on site of the remote, cannot rule out local RFI?

Local RFI is a possibility, yes.

But, I've been monitoring this signal since I first discovered it and, after last Saturday, it has not transmitted again. I'm leaning toward the signal being some sort of amateur radio operator test.