We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Is DRM the next AM Stereo?  (Read 5274 times)

cmradio

Is DRM the next AM Stereo?
« on: September 07, 2008, 0849 UTC »
PC receivers aside, there is one standalone receiver I have found and it is by Morphy Richards.

Page links for receivers from DRM.org are either "404" or discontinued or prototypes not available to the public.

The average listener does not want to (or can't) rip apart their SW radio to modify it and many of these "radios on a microchip", like from Eton, are impossible to modify for DRM output.

I hear many SW DRM stations on my receiver. What good is it if no one can receive them without hauling their PC around on their backs? ;D

Peace!

Fansome

Re: Is DRM the next AM Stereo?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 0244 UTC »
There was a post on rec.radio.shortwave not long ago saying that Radio Shack and others were selling off all DRM equipment at rock-bottom prices. I think this is the end.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 1142 UTC »
Excellent.  Now if IBOC/HD-Radio would go away as well.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 2335 UTC »
I think DRM stands a chance, only because it's a fairly open standard. There is enthusiasm in Europe, but it is slow going.

IBOC, on the other hand, is toast and on life support. The only hope for it is for the Ibiquity lobbyists to get the FCC to cram it down our throats, and it looks like it may happen. There are semi-serious discussions happening now around moving all digital AM stations up to a part of the spectrum vacated by VHF TV stations when they shut off their analog transmitters in February.

Ibiquity and the larger broadcast conglomerates would probably rally around this idea. It would force, en-masse, consumers to abandon most receivers for new gear and probably be the nail in the coffin for smaller ma & pa AM holdouts. It would be a sad day for American radio but it would actually open up interesting possibilities for mediumwave DXers, as the MW spectrum in North America would suddenly become quiet. The DX would be rolling in. It's a high price to pay, though.

Here is an article on the concept: http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0052/t.15575.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 2339 UTC by Beerus Maximus »
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

cmradio

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 0602 UTC »
Wasn't Alaska talking about DRM shortwave to cover the state with radio broadcasts from central locations? ???

If this is to work, they will have to make easily available and inexpensive DRM receivers.

...it would be a sad day for American radio but it would actually open up interesting possibilities for mediumwave DXers, as the MW spectrum in North America would suddenly become quiet. The DX would be rolling in. It's a high price to pay, though.

Especially with these low sunspots! Mexico and Cuba stations have been coming in near Vancouver, BC at 30-over some nights ;D

Peace!

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 0146 UTC »
Wasn't Alaska talking about DRM shortwave to cover the state with radio broadcasts from central locations? ???

I believe that is still on the drawing board.

There is a site tracking and advocating US DRM broadcasting on 26 MHz here: http://klixie.com/26mhz/
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline bobby_blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 0251 UTC »
The availability of relatively cheap computers and internet access, doomed DRM from day one.
Winamp running at 32 kpbs/44kHz AAC+ runs well even on crappy dialups and can provide some really impressive audio, with a bit of eq. tweaking.
Better sound than DRM and a much larger range of listening choices.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 0252 UTC by bobby_blaze »

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 1755 UTC »
I agree - I listen to music online from Europe and independent stations now, more than I do traditional radio. Even Satellite radio choices are a wee too confining for me. Local stations just do the "heavy rotation" of the same 5-10 songs a wee bit too much. If traditional radio returned to it's more eclectic roots, I'd listen again. I just don't foresee that happening.
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

cmradio

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 0112 UTC »
From what I have heard, RNZI had dropped DRM on 6170 in favour of analog again :)
(at least they haven't been using DRM there for the past month or so)

Peace!