We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 4085 KHz, good choice or not?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
4085 KHz, good choice or not?
« on: December 16, 2018, 2231 UTC »
I'm curious for feedback from listeners last night as to the suitability of 4085 as a transmission frequency.  One of the problems that plagues 43 meters is a combination of peskies and wideband data modes, both seem to be absent on 73 meters.  The down side to this frequency range is that it resides in maritime frequency allocations, and there does seem to be some data activity, albeit bursty.

With the downturn in propagation (SSN last night was ZERO) and the tendency for 43 meters to go long very early, I see few other choices but to head for longer wavelengths.  Halloween this year made this problem crystal clear for me, and until propagation returns to peak level or the noise becomes excessive on lower frequencies to allow enjoyment of a program, I see little reason to return to 43.

Any thoughts, or perhaps other ranges we should explore?  I would prefer not going much lower, as antenna considerations become a problem.

+-RH
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 2314 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Re: 4085 KHz, good choice or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 2324 UTC »
I can't speak for the potential problems with licensed users of this territory, but over the past two months, I've tuned here from time. I haven't heard any peskies or MARS ops, so that seems like a big plus. I also haven't heard much of the data that turns up on 43m. Strictly from the perspective of a listener, it seems like this is a great place to broadcast at night from the late fall through early spring.

I also wonder if there are any open chunks of spectrum around 60m, now that a lot of tropical band stations are dark
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 0158 UTC »
As Andrew stated, 4085 is probably the clearest frequency in the 73 meter range.
And, a frequency up around 60 meters, or perhaps around 5190 might offer some advantages as well.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 1953 UTC »
With the demise of USN/MC MARS who used to hold this frequency, I think the closest MARS freq is still 4041, in use by USAF or Army MARS today. It'd also be neat to hear piracy on the region 2 to 2.5MHz hint hint.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 2023 UTC »
With the demise of USN/MC MARS who used to hold this frequency, I think the closest MARS freq is still 4041, in use by USAF or Army MARS today. It'd also be neat to hear piracy on the region 2 to 2.5MHz hint hint.

Would you like to volunteer to help erect a 75' antenna every weekend?  hint hint...  ;D

+-RH

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 2331 UTC »
I'm thinking 5060 - 5070 ?? I can tune to 5 Mhz   I'm not able to tune 4085 at this time I'd have to put up another antenna.   

tAC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 2344 UTC »
70 meters shows some great promise with prior experience on several frequencies in the 4000-4100 kHz range.  As for 2000-2500 kHz, that might be possible.  3375 kHz is another good one.  3400-3500 kHz is an aircraft band so I would avoid operating there. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 0025 UTC »
I heard no interference issues anywhere around 4085 kHz that night.

Propagation wasn't great in my area; Radio Verdad down on 4055, which I use to judge reception on that band, was very weak that night compared to usual. But during periods when the fading settled down, you sounded great. To echo some of the others here, though, it might be interesting to try something between 5050-5100 kHz.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 0153 UTC »
The 5 MHz region is possible.  Currently 50' seems to be the limit for a self supporting vertical in most weather conditions, and that would be 1/4 wave at 5 MHz or so.  I'm open to ideas, although I would have to build a new LPF, antenna matching network, and tank coil for any new frequency, along with a new set of radials.

Good stuff!

+-RH

P.S. how about 5110? It looks to have enough room for 10KHz audio.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 0158 UTC by redhat »

Offline Radio Station

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 0628 UTC »
5 MHz seems to be closer to the performance of 6 Mhz with 4 Mhz performing better at night. If would be interesting to see how well you will do in the 5100 area +- Your could try 4800 +- area also on the low side of the broadcast band if it is clear of stations. The advantage in going higher is a lower noise floor with propagation a little less at night.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 0630 UTC by Radio Station »
Radio station

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 1123 UTC »
I'll present my views as a listener: At the risk of stating the obvious... It's far far more likely for a station to be heard if it is transmitting where people are listening. This includes people tuning the dial, as well as those of us that run nightly SDR recordings.

If an op lets me know they'll be on random frequency XYZ on a given evening, I can set up my SDR recording to catch them. But otherwise, I'm probably going to miss them, as will most other listeners. This is the current "problem", if you will. Please don't take this as criticism, I appreciate the efforts ops make and enjoy listening to any broadcasts I happen to be able to catch.

If on the other hand a particular band has a fair amount of activity (as 43 meters does now), I'm more likely to be recording and catch it, as will others. I understand there's technical issues involved, with resonant antennas, transmitter frequency ranges, and so on. Some coordination amongst operators (which seems to be the intent of this discussion, yay!) to pick one additional band (say 100 kHz wide) on top of 43 meters, vs everyone using their own band, is going to result in a lot more folks hearing the transmissions.  Just saying  8)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 1206 UTC »
Chris makes a good point.  I have had excellent results with 4 MHz / 70 meters, although I haven't tried 5 MHz / 60 meters and I understand the issue re: building verticals for lower frequencies...maybe 6800-7000 kHz and 4000-4100 kHz? 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 1552 UTC »
I'll present my views as a listener: At the risk of stating the obvious... It's far far more likely for a station to be heard if it is transmitting where people are listening. This includes people tuning the dial, as well as those of us that run nightly SDR recordings.

If an op lets me know they'll be on random frequency XYZ on a given evening, I can set up my SDR recording to catch them. But otherwise, I'm probably going to miss them, as will most other listeners. This is the current "problem", if you will. Please don't take this as criticism, I appreciate the efforts ops make and enjoy listening to any broadcasts I happen to be able to catch.

If on the other hand a particular band has a fair amount of activity (as 43 meters does now), I'm more likely to be recording and catch it, as will others. I understand there's technical issues involved, with resonant antennas, transmitter frequency ranges, and so on. Some coordination amongst operators (which seems to be the intent of this discussion, yay!) to pick one additional band (say 100 kHz wide) on top of 43 meters, vs everyone using their own band, is going to result in a lot more folks hearing the transmissions.  Just saying  8)

Thanks to the HFU, once someone spots the signal and posts it, many more people find out about it who otherwise may miss it.  Through selective announcements, it is less likely that a signal would go unnoticed, for better or worse.  I did receive a few emails the other night from folks who stumbled across the show while looking for something to listen to.  Being adjacent to ham bands can help in this regard, but can also be a problem for obvious reasons.

+-RH

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 2136 UTC »
A 1/4w vert for 5MHz would get you some lovely dx I bet.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 2252 UTC »
Yes, at the expense of local coverage.

+-RH