We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC says ‘most’ operations will be suspended Thursday  (Read 3368 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
FCC says ‘most’ operations will be suspended Thursday
« on: January 01, 2019, 2315 UTC »
FCC says ‘most’ operations will be suspended Thursday if partial government shutdown continues

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/1/18164361/fcc-suspension-partial-federal-government-shutdown
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: FCC says ‘most’ operations will be suspended Thursday
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 1027 UTC »
That means a certain pirate will be taking to the air. Will it be Radio Free Speech or WBNY? Only his sockpuppets know for sure.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 2025 UTC »
That means a certain pirate will be taking to the air. Will it be Radio Free Speech or WBNY? Only his sockpuppets know for sure.

rf polution
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 0633 UTC »
Staff of the FCC Operations Center will handle emergency contacts for agency. Staff of the High Frequency Direction Finding (HFDF) Center will operate the high frequency antenna system used to protect life and property. One management employee will oversee and coordinate regularly with both operations to help identify and respond to imminent threats to life or property.

Likely chasing down someone on 6925 is not priority one. At the same time, if there is no emergency, they might just get bored and do some investigatory work.

Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 1114 UTC »
Will the president increase pirate radioactivity?  8)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 2203 UTC »
Make Pirate Radio Great Again!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 0221 UTC »
Even if operations are partially suspended, the FCC will retain employees to ensure that auctions (like those for 5G spectrum) aren’t disrupted

And they'll be around to protect life & property too. Guess which of these will be their #1 priority...

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
Minneapolis, MN

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 0307 UTC »
Will the president increase pirate radioactivity?  8)

Oh, I think as time goes on there will be more stations like this: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,43559.msg160866.html#msg160866

So, the answer is "yes".

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 1409 UTC »
Staff of the FCC Operations Center will handle emergency contacts for agency. Staff of the High Frequency Direction Finding (HFDF) Center will operate the high frequency antenna system used to protect life and property. One management employee will oversee and coordinate regularly with both operations to help identify and respond to imminent threats to life or property.

Likely chasing down someone on 6925 is not priority one. At the same time, if there is no emergency, they might just get bored and do some investigatory work.

As long as you're not interfering with safety of life services (i.e. jamming the US Coast Guard - of course they have HFDF capabilities too...), US government/military nets or aeronautical frequencies then you're fine.  Keeping the safety of life services frequencies clear is their highest priority.

As with previous government shutdowns, I think there has already been an increase in pirate activity.  Hard to say if that's also because of the recent holidays or a combination of the two.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 1625 UTC »
5G is a Chinese hoax.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 2236 UTC »

At the same time, if there is no emergency, they might just get bored and do some investigatory work.
As long as you're not interfering with safety of life services (i.e. jamming the US Coast Guard - of course they have HFDF capabilities too...), US government/military nets or aeronautical frequencies then you're fine.  Keeping the safety of life services frequencies clear is their highest priority.

I realize that it was hard to tell but I was joking.

As with previous government shutdowns, I think there has already been an increase in pirate activity.  Hard to say if that's also because of the recent holidays or a combination of the two.

I agree. I guess that we will find out this weekend?

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 2240 UTC »
5G is a Chinese hoax.

Hmmm. I think you are joking but, in case not, Better tell Ericsson, Qualcomm, Verizon, Apple, Google, Facebook, Analog Devices, and a bunch of other similarly non-Chinese companies that tidbit of information.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 2251 UTC by KaySeeks »

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 2334 UTC »
They are all going to say they are working on it. I'm talking about 28Ghz that the FCC is auctioning off. I don't see that happening except for maybe in the largest cities and not for 3-5 years. So what's the rush? (unless the shutdown is going to last for months or years)

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 0139 UTC »
They are all going to say they are working on it. I'm talking about 28Ghz that the FCC is auctioning off. I don't see that happening except for maybe in the largest cities and not for 3-5 years. So what's the rush? (unless the shutdown is going to last for months or years)

Yes, given where the equipment suppliers are in their development, I'd say 3-5 years is about right.

I don't know for 100% sure but my feeling is that the licensees want to be sure of exactly what frequencies they will obtain because it affects equipment decisions (i.e., optimizations for a certain band) and given that it takes their equipment suppliers 1-2 years to get final versions from their suppliers, nailing those down soon would seem important.

But also, the FCC does like $$$, don't they?

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 1738 UTC »

Every stable genius will hardly notice any change due to the general noise (QRM)