We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6300 kHz USB - Two QSOs at once - 2220 UTC 16 Jan 2019  (Read 1554 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
6300 kHz USB - Two QSOs at once - 2220 UTC 16 Jan 2019
« on: January 16, 2019, 2221 UTC »
UNID language, sounds like an Afro-Caribbean type language, and Spanish (underneath it).  I've logged this weird language on 6300 USB a couple times before, and I think this might be a more or less regular thing.  Spanish speaking OM at 2219 UTC kept asking the stronger station "what is your name?" "who are you?" types of questions, maybe wondering what he's doing on his frequency.

6300 kHz is a legal HF-SSB marine frequency in the 6 MHz band IIRC.  Well, its within the legal band.  Now hearing two Spanish speaking OMs on 6300 USB and the stronger unknown language speaking OM has gone quiet, or changed frequencies....nope, he's back.  Maybe three QSOs going on at once at this point, the frequency is pretty busy.

Receiver is the Westminster, MD KiwiSDR
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6300 kHz USB - Two QSOs at once - 2220 UTC 16 Jan 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 2257 UTC »
2253 UTC - Hearing one station, his signal is S7 in WNY. The second station is very weak, right at my noise level.  It's a guess what language they are speaking.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 1940 UTC »
It seems like a semi-regular thing.  I'll try and check to see if they're on 6300 kHz USB again this afternoon/evening with the strange language.  I could certainly hear Spanish in the background but that was another QSO (at first it seemed like the Spanish-speaking op was trying to talk to the stronger station, but he could have been working the other Spanish speaking OM on frequency, it was pretty messy for a bit).

Considering the amount of traffic coming out of the Caribbean and Latin American areas lately it wouldn't surprise me if we were listening to some sort of Afro-Caribbean marine net, similar traffic has been heard all over the 6-10 MHz region.

Looks like others have heard this UNID language, not sure if its the same group but here's a log from 2016:

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php?topic=27683.0

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 2030 UTC »
Something to keep in mind is an hour before to an hour after local sunset you might see grayline reception from the far ends of the earth. Also, pretty much any station in darkness can be heard by any other station in darkness, propagation gods smiling. Don't be surprised by unexpected languages hence unexpected dx as you scan the band.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 2122 UTC »
Something to keep in mind is an hour before to an hour after local sunset you might see grayline reception from the far ends of the earth. Also, pretty much any station in darkness can be heard by any other station in darkness, propagation gods smiling. Don't be surprised by unexpected languages hence unexpected dx as you scan the band.

Good point Josh.  I get home from work around 1620 or 1630 local time (2120 or 2130 UTC) which, at least this time of the year, is close to grayline.  I'm checking 6300 kHz right now (at 2122 UTC) hearing nothing on the East Coast USA SDRs or locally (on the East Coast...)

I stand corrected, literally as I'm typing that...voices started popping up out of the noise on 6300 USB.  Not strong enough to get a remote idea of what language it is but there's something there (at 2124 UTC now).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 2124 UTC by R4002 »