We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Spam Radio 6930 USB 2333 UTC 18 JAN 2019  (Read 419 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Spam Radio 6930 USB 2333 UTC 18 JAN 2019
« on: January 19, 2019, 0334 UTC »
SDR recording catch. Signal was fair overall, some good peaks but enough noise not overcome to make things hard for my damaged ears to make out.

2333 Up with some a capella chorus it sounds like
2334 Switched suddenly to "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" Monty Python
2337 Spam Radio ID, said they were broadcasting live on 7385 kHz. Looks like a recording of an old pirate.
2338 Spot from "Randy McNally, CEO of Hormel" speaking about spam and Spam Radio apologizing for anything offensive from Spam Radio
2339 OM on the mic. Gave a maildrop address in Faribault MN. Other stuff about QSL's.
2341 OM still speaking, but there was a bit of the "spam spam spam spam" song from Monty Python in there.
2342 Something that sounds like a 20's or 30's jazz version of "Stairway to Heaven." Not sure what it is but it's the same melody.
2344 two OM now, one with English accent. The weird song is still in the background.
2345 Spam Spam Spam Spam song into a parody song about Spam done to the tune of REM's "Stand."
2348 both OM back on the mic with Spam radio ID, mention of it being Saturday night. Faribault address given again. OM said anyone unhappy with previous QSL cards could mail them back to him. Will send back a tape with both this show and the previous one that was already heard. Apparently this is the broadcast referred to in this listing: https://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/index.php/SPAM_Radio
2351 clip of third OM reciting poem about spam.
2354 both OM still going on. Signal starting to fade out at this point.
2355 signal came up, I can understand most of what's being said. Huzzah!
2356 a word from our sponsor... Ad for Fungus Hut.
2357 OM back on mic, saying that those who destroyed the image still looked at it. Signal cut off in middle of this bit.
2358 back on after a minute, "This is a crooked man calling" repeated several times, into
2359 "Satisfaction" sung by a female singer. No ID from Shazam so no idea who this was, but it sounded like it was recorded back in the 60s
Off at 0001

This was a pretty solid signal overall. I'm surprised that it was missed by the other listeners when it was on.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail