We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: LoG Antenna Update  (Read 1515 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
LoG Antenna Update
« on: January 30, 2019, 1239 UTC »
My LoG is now under 3.5" of snow, and seems to be working fine.

I wasn't sure about the LoG at first, but I'm really happy with the performance of this antenna on the lower bands. This is a larger LoG, about 350 ft total perimeter. I am using it right now to listen to some of the pirate beacons on the 2 and 4 MHz bands, and it is working extremely well.

I also have a traditional 50 ft LoG which OTOH I am not very thrilled with so far. I need to spend some more time using it on the higher bands, when propagation permits. Which might be in a few years.

I'm now considering building a larger one, perhaps in the 800 to 1000 foot range. Time to check out eBay for some bulk wire deals.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: LoG Antenna Update
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 1918 UTC »
Would the 50 foot LoG perform decently in the 20-30 MHz range (including 10 and 11 meters?) or by "higher bands" do you mean 10-15 MHz that range?

I know you have a 11/10 meter dipole but I still think you should get a vertical for 11 meters :D   Also yes to the 1000 foot LoG. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 2111 UTC »
No, the small LoG doesn't really work well at all, either 20m or 11m.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 2240 UTC »
I wonder if a small amp would benefit the shorter bog? The only diff I can see is the total rf delivered by the short loop compared to the big one. Kinda like how a larger bev should deliver more rf than a shortened one for the same freq.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 1442 UTC »
I found about 120-130 feet of wire is good for a LoG when listening to the funny band.

An amp might not be a bad idea. I've found you have to bring the RF gain on the rx up a bit to hear clearly w/ most LoG's.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 2144 UTC »
Yep, on ground/in ground antennas are always low noise, but also low desired signal level too. Also consider a preselector, those can help wring the last bits of rf our of the system as well as offer protection from off freq signals.

http://www.bobsamerica.com/preselectDesignNotes.html
http://www.bobsamerica.com/preselect-6.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.