We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The FRN  (Read 15054 times)

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
Re: The FRN
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 1610 UTC »
Nah, all the convenience stores have changed.  ;D Let's stomp on someone's leg on national TV...yeah, nobody's going to see that.

Last I heard, his license was reinstated though...frightening  :o
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 1709 UTC »
Well, via numerous nslookups, it appears FRN has been down long enough to get dropped from most of the major DNS servers. So, once again, when it does come back up, it's gonna flap for different people regionally as the internet's DNS servers have to repopulate the records.

Protip: if you don't want people posting to the board in the Dear Leader's absence, just create a redirect page that sends folks to a nice "Offline for Server Maintenance" type page and nullify all the rumor-replicating that tends to happen. It's easier to reset to the regular site once you return, and it doesn't get you de-listed from the interwebs.
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 1945 UTC »
Nah, all the convenience stores have changed.  ;D Let's stomp on someone's leg on national TV...yeah, nobody's going to see that.

Last I heard, his license was reinstated though...frightening  :o

Stay away from drive-thrus. Marcus has gotta have his fries.

Somewhere around I've got a coffee cup with cow on the side that says,"Virginia Tech:More Than Just Cow-Tipping."

It was given to me by a one time administrator there. She beat it after her contract was up. Being a South Carolina girl,she didn't realize she was moving to one of the few places in the South where they measure snow in feet. I tried to warn her.

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 2059 UTC »
Snow is better by the yard
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 2213 UTC »
Well, via numerous nslookups, it appears FRN has been down long enough to get dropped from most of the major DNS servers. So, once again, when it does come back up, it's gonna flap for different people regionally as the internet's DNS servers have to repopulate the records.

Brilliant work, eh? LMAO!!

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Guise Faux

• Umbrage Island, Manitou Province, Canada
  • The Man Who Laughs
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Radio Paranoia
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 0739 UTC »
To address a concern expressed by Nella F...

...Speaking of tracking, has anyone visited http://shortwavedx.blogspot.com & noticed that your location is instantly posted on the "Live Traffic Feed"? Wazzup Widat?!
"Concerned Now"
         :o

...coincidentally I drafted a blog article touching on this general issue a couple of weeks ago.  I should finish it up and publish it.

Meantime, here are a few paragraphs from it.

Most discussion forums, websites and blog record some data for visitors.  Web traffic statistics are the life blood of commercial sites, and valued by non-commercial site/blog owners who want to know whether they're effectively reaching their target readership.  The only significant difference is that some sites/blogs choose to alert visitors that their IPs are being tracked.

First, I wouldn't be too concerned about masking my IP on friendly or neutral sites - which includes most radio related discussion forums, websites and blogs.  I do use proxies for browsing the FRN and certain sites in the radio scene that have a history of hostility**, but not for most.

As Terry suggested, you can use proxies if you prefer more privacy.  There are plenty of free proxies that are useful for web browsing.  Those may not be secure for sites that require logins, but they're good enough for websites and blogs you only read, or those that permit comments without registering or logging in with passwords.

Also, install NoScript and Adblock Plus for Firefox.  Even without using a proxy, NoScript can thwart some scripts that collect data - but I wouldn't rely on NoScript alone for that particular funtion.  Also NoScript and Adblock Plus can hinder the desired functions for some websites, so you'll need to customize these add-ons for your favorite sites.  If I support a site and trust it to not misuse my info, I don't bother with proxies and will turn off NoScript and Adblock Plus so the site can benefit from more valid traffic info.

**Yes, I'm aware of the irony of that comment.

And, yes, I do recommend using a proxy and NoScript to visit my blog, at least to new visitors until they grok the quirky milieu.  The ToRP blog is deliberately confrontational, provocative and occasionally vulgar - because rhetorical polemic works.  It's not to everyone's taste and isn't intended to be.

Even if you visit uncloaked, comments should probably be done anonymously or via an alias that can't be traced to your real life ID.  A few commenters don't bother with aliases, or use familiar aliases by which they are known elsewhere in the pirate radio scene.  Not everyone possesses such large, pendulous brass spheres.   ;D

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 1936 UTC »
Snow is better by the yard

A yard per season is fine with me :D
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Nella F.

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 2236 UTC »

That's Nella F. with one "."
Glad I was able to create an intelligible dialogue (though mostly unintelligible to moi...) Thus, for the moment I shall be Not Bored Now!
     :o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 2241 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline Guise Faux

• Umbrage Island, Manitou Province, Canada
  • The Man Who Laughs
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Radio Paranoia
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 0127 UTC »

That's Nella F. with one "."

Note to self: Stop abusing ellipses...

Offline PresentedIn4D

• Syracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 2125 UTC »
what is this i dont even

now, if i'm catching this all properly, security wise, i think the FRN just needs some new software, really. it looks to be very vulnerable to any type of attack.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 2127 UTC by PresentedIn4D »
Syracuse, NY // FN13ua
40m Doublet + WiNRADIO Excalibur / Kenwood TS-2000
qsl @ presentedin4d at gmail . com

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 0948 UTC »
FRN is back again! ;D

Fansome

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 1602 UTC »
Be still my beating heart!

FRN is back again! ;D

Nella F.

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 2325 UTC »
FRN is back again! ;D
You can put the digitalis away Fansome, FRN is down again! (I have way too much free time on my hands)
 ::)

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 0224 UTC »
It's that time of year when furreys start shedding. Their computer probably overheated after the fan got plugged with bunny fluff.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 0712 UTC »
more downs than ups  ::)